Author Topic: 40 GB, PS2 BC-less PS3 unveiled by SCEE (Update White 40GB PS3 for Japan @ 39,980 Yen - 11.11.2007)  (Read 16191 times)

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Re: 40 GB, PS2 BC-less PS3 unveiled by SCEE
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2007, 05:16:02 AM »
you play every game by waggling, that is a little more important.

the new PS3 will be 4.4Kg (down from 5Kg) and power consumption is 280W (100W down from older models).

I think that means they switched to 65 nm.  while that's a good thing, it also guarantees that no future PS3 will have hardware BC.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: White 40GB PS3 for Japan @ 39,980 Yen - 11.11.2007
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2007, 05:16:31 AM »
So I guess I have no choice in waiting for a bundle with Dual Shock 3, might as well try and find a PS3 that has BC installed
fat

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2007, 05:18:09 AM »
It is indeed, but without software (whether they are actual games for the hardcore folks or mini games for the family/casuals) shit won't sell as much as you hope it will.

not to mention making PS2 titles completely useless here.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2007, 05:24:04 AM »
No pack-in Dual Shock is NOT a surprise for Japan.

Is this PS3 gimped like the Euro version?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8150402&postcount=55

No BC.
No SACD.

but in another news...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8150645&postcount=120

Power consumption:
20/60GB: 380W
40GB: 280W

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2007, 05:33:29 AM »
Maybe they can save some more bucks on manufacturing by removing the optical out port

...or maybe color

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2007, 05:34:39 AM »
Maybe they can save some more bucks on manufacturing by removing the optical out port

...or maybe color

They already saved some bucks by removing 2 USB ports and the memory reader.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2007, 05:39:44 AM »
You guys should give credit where it's due and say thanks to Groo.

No BC.
No SACD.

No sale!

Also this thread is getting merged with the other one.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 05:42:36 AM by lyte edge »
ど助平

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2007, 05:42:52 AM »
Jonnyram is Groo? whether he is or not, thanks to both anyway.

and you already have a PS3, silly lyte.

less power consumption is always good.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2007, 05:44:56 AM »
Jonnyram is Groo? whether he is or not, thanks to both anyway.

and you already have a PS3, silly lyte.

less power consumption is always good.

I'm a crazy mutherfucka-- I'd be interested in buying a white PS3 down the road, but without BC, forget it.  I can live without the card reader and two USB ports, but no BC is just fucking stupid.  End of story.
ど助平

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
i'm just going to buy the 60gig version soon. i think i can get one for ±450. i'll probably play nothing on it till uncharted.

i just wanted to wait till mgs4, but damn, they won't last that long. :-\
zzz

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
The 60gb was available on Sony store for $350 if you applied for their credit card.  I would check to see if they still have something like that. 

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
bud, try NGS if you never played the original (or black).

i played Black for 100 hours and still loved Sigma, though the graphical update wasn't impressive for me, after the first 2 stages everything felt like NG HD.

Smooth Groove

bud, try NGS if you never played the original (or black).

i played Black for 100 hours and still loved Sigma, though the graphical update wasn't impressive for me.

after the first 2 stages everything felt like NG HD.

There was also some slowdown for some reason.  The graphics really weren't upgraded enough for there to be any slowdown.  I wonder if that was because part of the code was just ported from the Xbox version. 

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
Only noticed the slowdowns in one of the extra missions, where you fight 10 soldiers at a time (max soldiers 100).

what pissed me off more was the screen tearing, shit is not acceptable in a fast action game like this.

as for the graphics, the water and the bloomy skies were the biggest offenders to me.

Smooth Groove

There was already slowdown in the 2nd stage in the area with all the horse riders.  I noticed the tearing issues you are talking about too.  Did the Xbox vesion have tearing problems?  I can't reacall since it's been so long.  NG:S definitely has some visual issues but it still looks pretty good and  I would recommend it to someone who's never played NG on the Xbox. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:11:46 AM by Smooth Groove »

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
Damn...i missed that.

but then again, all i did there was stand still in one place and shoot arrows, so that could explain it.

well, i can't confirm if the original or black had screen tearing since i played it on my 360.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:17:53 AM by McDragon »

Smooth Groove

How good does NG or NG:B run on the 360?  I never use my 360 for BC since it's not wireless and I'm too lazy to haul it upstairs to download the BC updates.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
They are fantastic except for one issue: FMVs run kinda slow, which isn't game breaking anyway.

both of them run beautifully @720p, and with the latest BC update, you can run the old nes (or is it arcade?) game just fine.

the BC is about 12mb, burn it on a cd and install away.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:29:22 AM by McDragon »

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
i don't have an xbox, mcdragon, but maybe i'll check it out on the 360 someday if it's bc.

also, that 450 ps3 is gone. sold. i'm just going to wait for the 40gig and just buy it whenever mgs4 comes out unless i find some old lost bargain stock somewhere. btw, i just checked which games i'd actually replay and the only games that i could think of are mgs1, 2 and 3 (+ i wanted them upscaled on my hdtv whenever i get one, and apparently the improvements are nice). i'd replay them a couple of days before mgs4 comes out.

hopefully they do an mgs4 packed-in with a ps3 when it comes out, so i'll only have to pay 20 bucks or so extra.

i'm a part of the problem. sorry, guys. :-\

zzz

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3" - Phil Harrison, Sony, December 2006.
PS4

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I think I may get an original Xbox to go with a PS2.

I really wanna play Ninja Gaiden, PGR, PGR2, give Halo a go, and maybe some more.

Ugh, here we go again.  Get a 360 and the superior versions of all the games you just mentioned.
ど助平

Smooth Groove

I think I may get an original Xbox to go with a PS2.

I really wanna play Ninja Gaiden, PGR, PGR2, give Halo a go, and maybe some more.

Ugh, here we go again.  Get a 360 and the superior versions of all the games you just mentioned.

Yeah. Buying a Xbox 1 to play those games are just dumb.  Mcdragon already said that NG is nicely emulated on the 360 and I know both Halo 2 and 2 do as well.  Also, PGR4 is so much better than the Xbox games. 

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Hey look, a forum that can edit titles in a functional way.

The 60gb was available on Sony store for $350 if you applied for their credit card.  I would check to see if they still have something like that. 

Anyone know of a deal like this?

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Im just a little bothered by the idea that Sony looked at 360, looked at its pretty laughable BC, and then decided it was ok for them to STRIP a feature from their console. Most of what I USE my PS3 for is PS2 games. I cant IMAGINE what id do with it otherwise right now. Either theyre crazy or they have one ball busting lineup next year that I dont know about.

*I dont care about FF or MGS, what then? lolol :(
o_0

Smooth Groove

Im just a little bothered by the idea that Sony looked at 360, looked at its pretty laughable BC, and then decided it was ok for them to STRIP a feature from their console. Most of what I USE my PS3 for is PS2 games. I cant IMAGINE what id do with it otherwise right now. Either theyre crazy or they have one ball busting lineup next year that I dont know about.

*I dont care about FF or MGS, what then? lolol :(

In defense of Sony's strategy, someone that only cares about PS2 games probably won't get a PS3 anyway.  There're many people that don't have much to do on it other than play PS2 games but I'll guess that the main reason for their purchases was to play new PS3 games.  At least, that's why I bought a PS3.  I really don't care much about upscaling my PS2 games since they still look pretty bad on a HDTV.  I guess the lack of BC is most annying for people that never had PS2, have broken PS2s or don't have enough space.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
i don't have an xbox, mcdragon, but maybe i'll check it out on the 360 someday if it's bc.

Game is emulated pretty nicely, should be dirt cheap as well.

and good luck with your PS3 purchase, i suggest looking for 60 gigs version first, you might find it somewhere for a good price.

if not, 40 gig it is.

Rman

Will Sony offer all three SKUs this holiday season? And are they phasing out BC entirely for all PS3 models in the future?