Author Topic: So Mega Man 9  (Read 61851 times)

Darunia

Re: So Mega Man 9
« Reply #300 on: July 06, 2008, 09:01:59 AM »

what? I thought that magnet beam thing was optional in MM1 :| I can't pass

Himu

« Reply #301 on: July 06, 2008, 09:03:08 AM »
get it in elecman's stage with gutsmans power.

and people tell me classic mm isn't trial and error. it can be.
IYKYK

Darunia

« Reply #302 on: July 06, 2008, 09:15:29 AM »
yeah what kind of shit design is this

automatically makes this game inferior to the rest

Darunia

« Reply #303 on: July 06, 2008, 07:26:36 PM »
mega man 7 is wacky! Weird MM sprite, only four bosses availabe at a time, easy levels... All feels kinda off. I did love the nods to Air Man's stage on the What's going on in that second inventory screen? All these empty boxes for items and other collectable shit, I hope these will be actually worthwile additions. I don't see how classic MM needs anything other than weapons/lives/tanks though

I like the little intermissions in between stages in Light's lab and I was also strangely entertained by the intro (MM gets an metool helmet lol)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 07:30:18 PM by Darunia »

Himu

« Reply #304 on: July 06, 2008, 08:01:59 PM »
darunia. you have to play mega man powered up. it's so much better than mm1.
IYKYK

Darunia

« Reply #305 on: July 06, 2008, 08:19:10 PM »
I don't have a psp :/

wow awesome fanservice in MM7, Wily picking up gutsman from the robot depository with classic tunes in the background
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 08:20:53 PM by Darunia »

Himu

« Reply #306 on: July 07, 2008, 02:10:59 AM »
Beat Mega Man 3 an hour ago.

Review time!

+ Game improves upon everything that was wrong with Mega Man 2. From the level design, to the boss fights, to the general balance of things. The only thing I think MM2 has over MM3 are Robot Master designs, music, and a better group of Wily stages. The emphasis on weapons in MM2 is now gone, so now if you need to beat a boss with the P-shot you can if you want! But it may be harder if you do! The game gives an abundance of power ups, whether it be replenishing health or weapon power or fuel. The game is never annoying like MM2.

+ PROTO MAN! Ever since I was a kid and I watched the Mega Man cartoon, Proto Man has always been my favorite. He's so COOL! Every time I hear that damn whistle I swoon like the gif I just posted. He's just so cool! And who saves Mega in the end? Proto Man!

+ The slide adds so much to the classic MM formula. Mega is now entirely maneuverable as opposed to feeling sorta neutered in MM1 and 2. Sliding past and under attacks, jumping behind and shooting fuckers never gets old. This helps bridge the gap between MM and MMX.

+ This game continously dupes, surprises, and keeps the player on his/hers toes. You never know when Proto Man might show up. When you defeat all the robot masters you expect to be immediately taken to Wily's castle. Not so much in MM3! You get to fight the bosses from MM2 with remixed (and harder levels) than the ones before them. The MM2 bosses this time are far harder too, and it's fun finding out their weaknesses again. Finally, the ending. I didn't expect for that Dr. Wily to be a robot! What's more, Wily being crushed by a chunk of whatever it was, and Proto Man coming to save the day! End the end, the game harks back to my favorite Mega Man X game, Mega Man X2. In that game it managed to continously surprise the player also, but not nearly as well. It took this games premise; fighting extra bosses within levels and gives you a time limit in order to save Zero. Then when you get to Sigma's fortress you get to fight Zero! MM3 and MMX2 have so many similarities it's not even funny and for that reason, MM3 is my favorite nes MM so far.

+ Excellent music. The music didn't fall on my good side until later in the game, but dammit is it good! I take back what I said, I prefer MM3's soundtrack to MM1's. Wily's castle music for stages 3/4 is so hot. It reminds me of music you'd hear in Sonic 1. I was playing those levels with a smile on my face because I felt like a kid again due to the music.

+ Excellent boss fights. Gemini Man is THE best classic Mega man boss fight thus far. So awesome!

+ Great level designs. The remixed versions of MM3's levels hold some of the best platforming I've ever seen in a game!

+ Awesome story! I don't care what you think, I like Mega Man and Mega Man X stories! Proto Man!  I kept wondering which side Proto Man was on. The ending was great. Proto Man rocks!

- The Robot Master designs. Shit. All of these bastards look the same! What was this guy's weakness again? Hard Man? Needle Man? Penis Man? I don't remember! Aside from Magnet Man, I'm not a big fan of the designs at all and their color palletes make me think they're all the same. I hate that. They're lacking imagination, especially when compared to MM1 and 2's Robot Masters, which are all classic designs.

- Wily stage is too easy, and lacking imagination, especially compared to MM2.

Uhhhhh that's...about it. Other than that, I'd have to say I put this game on par with Mega Man X1, X2, X4; Mega Man Zero 2, Z4, Mega Man Legends, and Tron Bonne. Fucking masterpiece. They made the series better and better until 3, which is the ultimate.

I started a new game of MM4 and immediately blasted through it. I've beaten 4/8 Robot Masters in the span of 20 or so minutes. I'll tackle the rest tomorrow and beat the game and start on 5. Either way, I highly doubt it'll hold a candle to 3.

Fuck. Yes.

Make a Mega Man Powered Up for Mega Man 3! Skip Mega Man 2!!
IYKYK

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #307 on: July 07, 2008, 02:16:02 AM »
himuro is gay for protoman
萌え~

Himu

« Reply #308 on: July 07, 2008, 02:19:59 AM »
PROTO MAN!!! :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #309 on: July 07, 2008, 02:21:34 AM »
[youtube=425,350]PciC_uW5Tuk[/youtube]

LIQUIIIID!!!!

Himu

« Reply #310 on: July 07, 2008, 02:21:59 AM »

best robot design in the entire series

eat your heart out Zero!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #311 on: July 07, 2008, 02:23:15 AM »
[youtube=425,350]PciC_uW5Tuk[/youtube]

LIQUIIIID!!!!

omg
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #312 on: July 07, 2008, 02:40:53 AM »
[youtube=425,350]GB3ua7RCNXI[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]J_ClXzXZIzs[/youtube]

love how mega man gets it easy, bitch.

JustinP

• I put bananas up my butt. ONE MORE DUMB POST AND I'M BANNED!
« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2008, 04:39:06 AM »

cool breeze

« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2008, 04:41:41 AM »
Music is a bit weak.

best robot design in the entire series

eat your heart out Zero!

Protoman is awesome, but Zero in X1 is more awesome.  I think Zero's design got worse as the games went on.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:45:12 AM by swaggaz »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2008, 04:44:34 AM »
WOW ITS LIKE, JUST LIKE MEGAMAN

Waste of money, anyone could make a romhack of this shit
fat

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #316 on: July 07, 2008, 04:55:11 AM »
way oldschool
萌え~

JustinP

« Reply #317 on: July 07, 2008, 05:27:21 AM »
has a price been confirmed?  any more than $10 and i won't even consider it.  dont' even know if i'd spend $10 on any wiiware title.  already feel ripped off from the few VC titles i bought. 

cool breeze

« Reply #318 on: July 07, 2008, 05:30:14 AM »
Anymore than $5 is a ripoff.  It is an NES game, so charge the same amount.

I mean, I can get Bionic Commando Rearmed for $10.  Great 3D graphics.  Co-op.  Versus mode.  What is MM9? just another Mega Man game that we don't know the quality of, but apparently it is awesome because it looked like the old games.

JustinP

« Reply #319 on: July 07, 2008, 05:33:09 AM »
Anymore than $5 is a ripoff.  It is an NES game, so charge the same amount.

I mean, I can get Bionic Commando Rearmed for $10.  Great 3D graphics.  Co-op.  Versus mode.  What is MM9? just another Mega Man game that we don't know the quality of, but apparently it is awesome because it looked like the old games.
i know you're being sarcastic, but it looks like the old games because it uses the same fucking sprites.  i agree with you, but i have a feeling it's going to be like $15 because it's "new."  i'm not even against the idea, but i'm not going to pay much for this. 

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #320 on: July 07, 2008, 08:07:20 AM »
Himu - MM3 is my personal favorite of all the MM games... love the music and the level design, although 2 would be my second favorite. I'm a bit disappointed that I hear they probably won't be bringing back the slide for MM9 since they want to simplify things even further... although some of the additions past MM3 were superfluous (charged Mega Buster, Beat, Rush armor), I really liked the slide, it added a great deal of flexibility to your movement.
^_^

Darunia

« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2008, 08:55:02 AM »
I really doubt the slide will be missing. That gamesradar preview said that in the time they've played it, they saw some tunnels that you could only get through using the slide in previous games. Maybe you'll unlock it along the way

finished 7. That was a pretty good game. I'm most impressed by the animation, some good work done in that department.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2008, 08:57:37 AM »
play Mega Man and Bass (Rockman and Forte) next, darunia.

good shit, make sure to grab the snes version, it's only in japanese but you can find fan translations easily with google.

Darunia

« Reply #323 on: July 07, 2008, 09:02:30 AM »
will do. how's MM8 btw?

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #324 on: July 07, 2008, 09:06:17 AM »
didn't like it.

slow animations and too much on rail stuff.

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #325 on: July 07, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »
[youtube=425,350]5UypYZDSTdo[/youtube]

Jump jump jump jump slide slide

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #326 on: July 07, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO BEAT THIS FUCKING BLOB BOSS THAT LOVES TO SEND PIECES OF HIMSELF ACROSS THE ROOM!? MEGAMAN CANNOT SLIDE. FUCKING CRAPCOM.

How the fuck are you suppose to dodge some of these enemy attacks!? It's like the game wants you to get hit and you can't do shit about it.

You have to jump. And yeah, I agree. MM3 is my favorite classic MM so far because the slide allows maneuverability MM1 and 2 just don't have. It feels so MMX-ish. If you can manage dodging an enemy attack, slide, jump out of the way. The boss fights are REALLY fun because of this.

:(
Boo

Himu

« Reply #327 on: July 07, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »
Jump over him. Shoot him in the eye. Requires lots of patience. He has the same pattern.
IYKYK

Junpei the Tracer!

« Reply #328 on: July 07, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »
Jump over him. Shoot him in the eye. Requires lots of patience. He has the same pattern.

Yeah I just beat him,I had to save state the crap out of him but I got down his pattern. That was neat.
Boo

Junpei the Tracer!

« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2008, 01:02:27 PM »
This has a gaunlet!? Holy shit. I didn't know Capcom started doing this so early.
Boo

Himu

« Reply #330 on: July 07, 2008, 01:08:26 PM »
are you kidding? lol
IYKYK

Darunia

« Reply #331 on: July 07, 2008, 01:09:11 PM »
started Rock & Bass

I'm stuck at this boss now, forgot his name, he's a boost/charge man that's incredibly fast and has the ice wall for weakness and he takes a bunch of damage from falling into spikes, but I'm lucky if I can pull it off two times. Shit is hard. I must've pressed F4 like 50 times already

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #332 on: July 07, 2008, 01:46:26 PM »
Damn, this game does look like shit.

JustinP

« Reply #333 on: July 07, 2008, 04:20:50 PM »
just came home with megaman anniversary for like $11

mmmm

Himu

« Reply #334 on: July 07, 2008, 04:21:46 PM »
Playing Mega Man 4 just makes me want to play mega Man 3 again. It's not nearly as good. I know what you guys mean. The game certainly isn't *worse* but it lacks something that made 1-3 awesome.
IYKYK

MoxManiac

« Reply #335 on: July 07, 2008, 05:32:38 PM »
I like MM4 :(

Has my favorite soundtrack of the NES games too.
no

JustinP

« Reply #336 on: July 07, 2008, 05:43:31 PM »
just came home with megaman anniversary for like $11

mmmm
less mmmm.  more like hmm..

delay on controls  :maf :maf :maf

Darunia

« Reply #337 on: July 07, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
protoman is so badass in mm & bass

HADOUKEN

gotta love that guy

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #338 on: July 07, 2008, 08:38:28 PM »
Music is a bit weak.

IMO the music sounds pretty damn good... more reminiscent in style of 5's and 6's than 2's and 3's... which I thought were the best soundtracks (and some of the best soundtracks in all of gamedom), but I dig. Gameplay looks awesome too.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #339 on: July 07, 2008, 09:11:35 PM »

HADOUKEN

gotta love that guy

HE'S IN MM AND BASS?

OMGGGGGGGG
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #340 on: July 07, 2008, 09:35:20 PM »
I was bored so I played through MM2.  I completely forgot in which order to fight the bosses, but I did remember how amazing it was.

Darunia

« Reply #341 on: July 07, 2008, 09:48:40 PM »

HADOUKEN

gotta love that guy

HE'S IN MM AND BASS?

OMGGGGGGGG

you haven't played it yet? a protoman fan like yourself will love his appearances

Darunia

« Reply #342 on: July 08, 2008, 07:05:51 PM »
finished MMX 2 today. Thought it was better than X1, enjoyed the design of the levels more. How were you supposed to get Zero's parts? In some stages the game notified you of having an extra boss, but I never encountered those while playing. Is the ending the same with both outcomes?

Started X3 immediately afterwards and that was an epic intro! Also first time you get control over Zero, which is neat

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #343 on: July 08, 2008, 08:47:16 PM »
Honestly I felt like 3 lacked something that made 1 and 2 awesome.
HLR

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #344 on: July 08, 2008, 08:53:47 PM »
X3 has long levels filled with the same four or five enemies, the special weapons suck, and like 5 of the bosses are aquatic-themed.  shit game.

also using zero is actually not fun wtf
pcp

Darunia

« Reply #345 on: July 08, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »
hey boba fett is in this game

levels filled with the same four or five enemies

I've only played 4 levels so far but you've got a point there. little tanks and wall crawlers seem to be everywhere!

what I do like is the music. the ice and ground rhino stages had some good tunes.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:32:52 PM by Darunia »

Himu

« Reply #346 on: July 08, 2008, 11:16:56 PM »
X3 is flawed. I don't see how anyone can hold it in the same league as X1, 2, 4, or 5. The game regurgitates enemy after enemy and the levels lack enemy variety and level variety of the past MMX's. Have X and Zero switch at random times is distinguished mentally-challenged too.

X4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> X3
IYKYK

MoxManiac

« Reply #347 on: July 08, 2008, 11:17:40 PM »
or 5? X5 (and X6 and X7) is a piece of crap :(
no

Himu

« Reply #348 on: July 08, 2008, 11:18:59 PM »
X5 is way better than X3 and gets too much flack. X5 is underrated as fuck.
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #349 on: July 08, 2008, 11:23:34 PM »
finished MMX 2 today. Thought it was better than X1, enjoyed the design of the levels more. How were you supposed to get Zero's parts? In some stages the game notified you of having an extra boss, but I never encountered those while playing. Is the ending the same with both outcomes?

Started X3 immediately afterwards and that was an epic intro! Also first time you get control over Zero, which is neat
i remember 2 rooms:

in Wire Sponge stage, under elevator platforming thing.

in Overdrive Ostrich, it's at the beginning but you need Wheel Gator's weapon to drill the blocks.

there is a room in every stage iirc, read a guide if you wanna know more.

only thing change is that you save the original zero and he destroy sigma's fake copy, no need to fight him.

cool breeze

« Reply #350 on: July 09, 2008, 03:06:09 AM »
X5 is way better than X3 and gets too much flack. X5 is underrated as fuck.

It is because X4 was unbelievably amazing and it is easier to say "Games after X4..." instead of "Games after X4, EXCEPT X3".

For X games I think X4 and X1 are tied, if not X4 beating it because of Zero.  X5 isn't bad, I just thought it was too easy.  It was almost laughable how easy it was compared to hell X4 was at the time (I actually bought it when I was really sick and couldn't go to school and played it all day without sleeping).

Himu

« Reply #351 on: July 09, 2008, 03:57:57 AM »
Megaman 4 is so booooooooring.

Megaman 5 rox
IYKYK

Darunia

« Reply #352 on: July 09, 2008, 07:09:53 AM »
fuck X3, seriously. I'm calling it quits on that game. The last level I played put me against Boba Fett first, then you have to escape the factory, only to begin the level again. Then I get attacked by this Bit who rapes me with my almost non upgraded life bar. I played for this long without seeing the maverick of the stage. This game's a wash

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #353 on: July 09, 2008, 09:22:24 AM »
i hated the red capsules, especially since there is a more powerful hidden capsule if you didn't get any red parts and the 2 random boss fights (Vile isn't random) which are only available for a short time.

not only that but you have to defeat the three bosses with their weakness or else no z-saber for you, fucking tiresome.

originalz

• Z!?
« Reply #354 on: July 09, 2008, 09:29:08 AM »

Himu

« Reply #355 on: July 10, 2008, 04:57:54 AM »
Beat mm5.

Review time:

+ The Robot Master stages were excellent. From Wave Man to Star Man and most particularly Gravity Man. The levels all had their own gimmicks and this makes each level unique and fun. 

+ The music is pretty catchy, especially after the mostly forgettable music that is in Megaman 4. It sports one of the best stage selection screens in the series, and one of my favorite game over screen songs. It reminds me of some gameboy game.

+ The emphasis on Protoman. Protoman saves the day and kicks ass once again.

+ Good premise, storywise. If only for Protoman.

- The Protoman Castle stages are mostly crap and/or annoying with the exception of the last one, which was on par with the rest of the game's level design. The Wily stages tended to be awesome because they took elements from the Robot Master stages. Easily the most platform heavy and interesting Wily Castle since MM2.

- Having Protoman's castle AND Wily's castle feels unnecessary and makes the game feel longer than it should, especially since Protoman's castle sucks ass, and nothing related to Protoman SHOULD SUCK ASS! I thought I was about to beat the game when I beat the robot parading as Protoman, but it turned out I had a whole nother castle to clear. Which tested my patience since I had to leave my ps2 on all day since, well, once you're in a castle in MM you have to stay there until you beat the game and I wasn't sure if it saved between Protoman and Wily's castles. I didn't want to risk my chances and left the ps2 on when I left earlier. Lame.

- The final boss is bullshit. You have no clue where he's going to show up and this results in so many bullshit hits. And since you have to go through those annoying gunner robots at the beginning of the level AND the the first form of the boss beforehand you want all the energy you can get. I just used the Rush-Jet to zoom past those annoying enemies at the beginning of the level so I could be at full health.

- The robot masters, despite being easy, take entirely too long to kill. When I'm doing a boss gauntlet in MM, I want it to go as fast as possible. Not this bullshit. MM2's boss gauntlet's take me 2-3 minutes. In MM5 it feels like 5-6 minutes or something.

- Lack of emphasis on Rush Jet and Rush Coil. In general, the the rush coil and jet suck ass in MM5, I thought. The coil is hardly useful AT ALL. There were some sections where I'd use the coil where I thought it was deemed necessary and the thing wouldn't let me jump high enough to reach it. So I tried to pull out my Rush Jet and had to go as far back as possible, jump on and jump in the middle of the platform in order to reach the top. The game makes you think you'll have to use one item when you probably have to use another. It's unintuitive, unlike MM1-3.

- The game is far too easy and brain dead. The boss fights are hardly memorable, the game is far too lenient with 1ups.

Overall, it's a decent game but not especially memorable. Definitely better than MM4, but probably on par with Megaman X3, which is a really fucking weak Megaman X title. The level designs in the Robot Master levels are pretty good, but that doesn't make it one of the better Megaman titles because it gets just about everything else wrong.

The magic of MM1-3 is starting to wane. Definitely. I still haven't beaten MM4 even though I'm almost done with the Robot Masters. I started a brief game of MM6 and put up for the night. Hopefully MM6 puts the quality MM4 and 5 brought. So far, the story sounds absolutely distinguished mentally-challenged and there's no sign of my lovely Protoman.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #356 on: July 10, 2008, 07:41:49 PM »
new video: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14260822/mega-man-9/videos/mm9multidebu.html

And it is coming to PSN and XBLA.  Suck it Wii exclusivity.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 07:43:22 PM by swaggaz »

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
« Reply #357 on: July 10, 2008, 07:44:04 PM »
new video: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14260822/mega-man-9/videos/mm9multidebu.html

And it is coming to PSN and XBLA.  Suck it Wii exclusivity.

by the lord god
wtc

Junpei the Tracer!

« Reply #358 on: July 10, 2008, 07:55:17 PM »

4/10 at best. Not very good Capcom,not very good at all. Time for Megaman 2!

That MM9 news is good though,I don't have to buy an adapter for the Wii now.
Boo

Darunia

« Reply #359 on: July 10, 2008, 07:56:57 PM »
fuuuuuuuck