Author Topic: Wouldn't it be awesome if Michael Jackson's comeback tour started at his funeral  (Read 14033 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Japanese TV is full of nothing but the funeral today. Over and over again; nothing but Mariah and Lionel and Paris snippets being shown, with resident American expert Dave Spector explaining it all. Good grief, all of his brothers wearing the silver glove, and all the people outside dressed as the deceased. Death makes people do inappropriate crap, apparently.

OTOH, this is the most rational thing I've ever seen come from Variety:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118005749.html?categoryid=3667&cs=1&nid=2562

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
okay, just fast-forwarded through this

some of it left a bad taste in my mouth, as if i were watching a late-night infomercial hawking the eventual release of that rehearsal dvd

although i have to admit his little girl at the end got to me, that was simple and pure grief

also pissed me off a bit, because if taking a surgical grade anesthetic ends up being the cause for his death (after being warned about it) then that was an insane, criminally irresponsible thing to do and leave those kids in such a state
sup

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Yeah, like I said, Paris will be remembered as the defining moment of the memorial.  So much of it was a production and that was the only thing that really pulled at the heartstrings, not to mention that it cast a spotlight on the side of Michael Jackson we never knew - beloved father.

I forget what news outlet I read it on, but their sentiment was similar to mine in that the Jackson family produced a 2+ hour spectacle (with dozen of guest appearances!) designed to deflect the negative side of Jackson's legacy and it was the impromptu eulogy of an 11-year-old girl that accomplished that aim - not guest performances.
PSP

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Yeah, I saw that guy's eyes and was like "RUN!"  :o

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
Yeah, like I said, Paris will be remembered as the defining moment of the memorial.  So much of it was a production and that was the only thing that really pulled at the heartstrings, not to mention that it cast a spotlight on the side of Michael Jackson we never knew - beloved father.

I forget what news outlet I read it on, but their sentiment was similar to mine in that the Jackson family produced a 2+ hour spectacle (with dozen of guest appearances!) designed to deflect the negative side of Jackson's legacy and it was the impromptu eulogy of an 11-year-old girl that accomplished that aim - not guest performances.
It worked because she wasn't a celebrity. It was clearly a honest statement that proved the fact, that despite all his strangeness he raised what seems like a shockingly normal and very well-loved little girl.

cool breeze

That guy is cool.  He does the back up vocals for I'll Be there.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2523526/Michael-Jackson-memorial-was-like-a-macabre-circus.html

'Memorial like a macabre circus'

WHEN 11-year-old Paris Michael Jackson, who has spent her childhood hidden from the spotlight behind a veil, was pushed in front of a microphone to address 19,000 people and billions more at home - my mind was made up.

This wasn't a memorial for a pop icon or the greatest entertainer the world has ever seen. It was a reminder of why MICHAEL JACKSON became a deeply unhappy, lonely man living an utterly bizarre existence. It was a macabre circus.

Taking children to a funeral is one of the most difficult decisions a parent will ever have to make. But the King of Pop's young daughter speaking as the climax of the memorial just wasn't right. Paris didn't look comfortable and more importantly, capable, of doing it. As the family gathered on stage I was surprised to see the children being paraded in front of a gold coffin holding the remains of their beloved father. Then, as JANET Jackson struggled to lower the mic stand for her niece's tiny frame, I just couldn't believe my eyes. I understand the yanks do mawkishness like no other, but putting a grieving child in the spotlight is questionable.

Having said that, her few words were deeply touching, bringing a tear to the eye. Or Congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee to be reminding us all you are "innocent until proven guilty" under the American constitution.

MAGIC JOHNSON so very nearly got it right with a touching anecdote. Unlike his career on the court, he then dropped a clanger by mentioning Kentucky Fried Chicken five times.

It says a lot when a little Welsh kid, who came seventh in Britain's Got Talent, was the best thing about the memorial. SHAHEEN JAFARGHOLI sang his socks off in front of a baffled audience who clearly didn't have a clue who he was. Luckily, choreographer KENNY ORTEGA was there to explain to the crowd who the Swansea lad was. And he also grabbed the chance to remind everyone about the great work AEG had done putting the memorial together with only days notice.

Something he should have been used to from the This Is It fiasco. AEG, Kentucky Fried Chicken, The Staples Center and Brooke Shields' career all received priceless PR adrenaline injections. And a world record was broken for the most people wearing sunglasses indoors.

I did notice one fitting tribute to all the parasites who sucked money and life out of Jacko during his troubled life. Boxer MIKE TYSON, singer CHRIS BROWN and promoter DON KING all weeping in the crowd. The memorial was missing producer QUINCY JONES, the one honourable character capable of giving "The Earl Spencer" speech. It took the sickly events at Jacko's memorial service for my disappointment to kick in that the King of Pop never had his chance to take a glorious final curtain call in London.

Cheebs

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2523526/Michael-Jackson-memorial-was-like-a-macabre-circus.html

'Memorial like a macabre circus'

WHEN 11-year-old Paris Michael Jackson, who has spent her childhood hidden from the spotlight behind a veil, was pushed in front of a microphone to address 19,000 people and billions more at home - my mind was made up.

This wasn't a memorial for a pop icon or the greatest entertainer the world has ever seen. It was a reminder of why MICHAEL JACKSON became a deeply unhappy, lonely man living an utterly bizarre existence. It was a macabre circus.

Taking children to a funeral is one of the most difficult decisions a parent will ever have to make. But the King of Pop's young daughter speaking as the climax of the memorial just wasn't right. Paris didn't look comfortable and more importantly, capable, of doing it. As the family gathered on stage I was surprised to see the children being paraded in front of a gold coffin holding the remains of their beloved father. Then, as JANET Jackson struggled to lower the mic stand for her niece's tiny frame, I just couldn't believe my eyes. I understand the yanks do mawkishness like no other, but putting a grieving child in the spotlight is questionable.

Having said that, her few words were deeply touching, bringing a tear to the eye. Or Congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee to be reminding us all you are "innocent until proven guilty" under the American constitution.

MAGIC JOHNSON so very nearly got it right with a touching anecdote. Unlike his career on the court, he then dropped a clanger by mentioning Kentucky Fried Chicken five times.

It says a lot when a little Welsh kid, who came seventh in Britain's Got Talent, was the best thing about the memorial. SHAHEEN JAFARGHOLI sang his socks off in front of a baffled audience who clearly didn't have a clue who he was. Luckily, choreographer KENNY ORTEGA was there to explain to the crowd who the Swansea lad was. And he also grabbed the chance to remind everyone about the great work AEG had done putting the memorial together with only days notice.

Something he should have been used to from the This Is It fiasco. AEG, Kentucky Fried Chicken, The Staples Center and Brooke Shields' career all received priceless PR adrenaline injections. And a world record was broken for the most people wearing sunglasses indoors.

I did notice one fitting tribute to all the parasites who sucked money and life out of Jacko during his troubled life. Boxer MIKE TYSON, singer CHRIS BROWN and promoter DON KING all weeping in the crowd. The memorial was missing producer QUINCY JONES, the one honourable character capable of giving "The Earl Spencer" speech. It took the sickly events at Jacko's memorial service for my disappointment to kick in that the King of Pop never had his chance to take a glorious final curtain call in London.

That article made it seem like Paris Jackson was paraded out there forced to speak to a crowd. That was obviously not the case. Janet was going to speak but the daughter stepped up instead.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Those aren't his kids  :lol

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
although i have to admit his little girl at the end got to me, that was simple and pure grief

Yeah, grief in the spotlight. I guess it's fitting for the individual the funeral was for, but it's a bit weird given how adamant that individual was on keeping the kids away from the spotlight. Then again, the whole funeral thing was weird; seemed more like a cover festival of stars looking to make another memorable appearance. Meh.

As for the drug bit, it smells like another Heath Ledger bit. Dude takes drugs, leaves kid(s) behind. What a star!

Cheebs

wtf? They aren't his biological kids but he raised them and has his name on their birth certificate. They are just as much his kids as any kids who are adopted by parents at birth. What are you on about?

Phoenix Dark

wtf? They aren't his biological kids but he raised them and has his name on their birth certificate. They are just as much his kids as any kids who are adopted by parents at birth. What are you on about?

Talking about the biological aspect. The GAF thread is ridiculous

Cheebs

h
Talking about the biological aspect. The GAF thread is ridiculous
There isn't anyone who thinks they are his biological kids are there? It's pretty obvious they aren't. Hell, the daughters words implied she knows as well. But is really doesn't matter he was their dad anyway.

Phoenix Dark

wow gtfo cheebs

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Why are you arguing with PeeDee Cheebs? PeeDee is black he knows Michael Jackson.

Cheebs

Phoenix Dark

Why are you arguing with PeeDee Cheebs? PeeDee is black he knows Michael Jackson.

Damn right. Ask Bill O'Reilly

[youtube=560,345]9KNUtBrAAuo[/youtube]

Cheebs

Damn right. Ask Bill O'Reilly

[youtube=560,345]iJ8dzAIwEm0[/youtube]
That's not O'Reilly!

Phoenix Dark

ninjaaa edit :punch

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Weren't black people throwing MJ under the bus as a legitmate black person not 3 or 4 years ago. I seem to remember a Chappel skit or joke saying such.

Phoenix Dark

"Chappel"=black people

Many black people I know felt bad for him and felt obliged to defend him from the white media. It was pretty obvious to me that he didn't want to look black, look like his father, etc. I have family members with serious vitaligo - they look more Obama, less Jackson. Yet there are people who will say he didn't  bleach his skin. Well why did he change his big black nose to look more European (before it fell off into the reptilian territory)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
The top two threads of this form are discussing race.  I'm starting to feel uncomfortable. 

tehjaybo

• Kentucky-Bore's Last Hope
The top two threads of this form are discussing race.  I'm starting to feel uncomfortable. 

We don't like your kind around here.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:teehee
[close]
HURR

Beezy

"Chappel"=black people

Many black people I know felt bad for him and felt obliged to defend him from the white media. It was pretty obvious to me that he didn't want to look black, look like his father, etc. I have family members with serious vitaligo - they look more Obama, less Jackson. Yet there are people who will say he didn't  bleach his skin. Well why did he change his big black nose to look more European (before it fell off into the reptilian territory)

This is what he did:

Alternatively, some people with vitiligo opt for chemical depigmentation, which uses 20% monobenzone (monobenzylether of hydroquinone). This process is irreversible and generally ends up with complete or mostly complete depigmentation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitiligo#Treatment

Phoenix Dark

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
As for his nose, it was reconstructed after he fell on his face and shattered his nose during a complicated dance routine in 1979.
CBG

Cheebs

Quincy Jones said Jackson didn't have the disease. I believe him, it is just too fucking big of a coincidence that a man who already was obsessed with making himself seem white with his facial surgeries would magically have the disease that makes you turn white.

Beezy

Where did Quincy Jones say that?

He had vitiligo way before the nose surgeries got out of hand, whether you believe it or not. There are a bunch of pics that show it.

Powerslave

Motherfucking Michael Jackson

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual

Yeah, grief in the spotlight. I guess it's fitting for the individual the funeral was for, but it's a bit weird given how adamant that individual was on keeping the kids away from the spotlight.

the more i think about it the more i feel like i shouldn't have seen that part, like i was spying through a church window during a funeral or something

but i do understand the sentiment behind it, and some of the other genuine statements made in his defense during that whole tacky mess

i can only imagine having a fairly heinous charge against you broadcast on news channels around the world 24/7 for months - it would ruin you as a human being, and it wouldn't matter if you were found not guilty

to know that people you've been around your whole life, and every single person you meet from that moment forward,  will have that question bouncing around in their mind at least once, there's no way it can be anything but soul-crushing

so i can certainly understand why someone would turn to a combination of painkillers to make all that blur away and go numb for a while, although i personally think he should have sacked up for the sake of his kids

also, swaggaz and beezy are about the only sane people still left posting in that gaf RIP thread, the adulation there has long turned - no exaggeration - genuinely disturbing

i think i'm all done talking about everything except for the music once in a while, though

loved listening to the jackson five on my mom's transistor radio (AM 4ever, baby), will always remember laughing and dancing my stupid little white kid dance to thriller on that cheap tape recorder - the rest of it, anything other than the groovy tunes and the silly memories behind them, can fuck off and away from this point on

sup

etiolate

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
I really can't bitch about Michael Jackson's funeral.

I mean, look at the complaints and then remember who we are talking about. MICHAEL JACKSON. There was no way any memorial service wasn't going to be like that for Michael Jackson.

Borys's point is invalid. The Pope and Diana weren't Michael Jackson. The fans acted exactly like Michael Jackson fans were going to anyways. They did the same shit at his trial. Was that appropriate?

HLR

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
CBG

Phoenix Dark

Himu

Weren't black people throwing MJ under the bus as a legitmate black person not 3 or 4 years ago. I seem to remember a Chappel skit or joke saying such.

Nope. Michael has always been a big influence on black music and the black community. People care less about his personal life, and more on the music and dance contributions. You don't need to look further than current r&b singers like Usher, Ne-yo, Chris Brown. They all take a piece of Michael Jackson as their persona, some try to *be* Michael Jackson when they perform and this is a musical artist who, musically, stopped being relevant to the mainstream in 1995 or 1996.

That's mad influence.
IYKYK