Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3154045 times)

Raban

• The baby...
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #10080 on: October 17, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
Hence the word "like". And of all the users to be calling someone out on flip-floppery, it's you?

Takes one to know one I guess :P
SRY

« Reply #10081 on: October 17, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »
Do you have Clubhouse Games? A lot of fun, esp with people who aren't terribly into gaming.

Himu

« Reply #10082 on: October 17, 2012, 04:30:11 PM »
Hence the word "like". And of all the users to be calling someone out on flip-floppery, it's you?

Takes one to know one I guess :P

I don't flip flop.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10083 on: October 17, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
Bullllllshit

lol
fat

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #10084 on: October 17, 2012, 07:56:03 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/17/rumor-starhawk-developer-lightbox-interactive-hit-with-major-layoffs

Not surprised. Starhawk should have been a free to play title. (Instead of that shitty Dust 514)

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #10085 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/17/rumor-starhawk-developer-lightbox-interactive-hit-with-major-layoffs

Not surprised. Starhawk should have been a free to play title. (Instead of that shitty Dust 514)

They lost 24 and are gonna do IOS games now.

www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...fs-moving-away

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #10086 on: October 18, 2012, 12:01:10 AM »
Not with control fidelity like the DS. The combination of stylus+buttons works well for me, I was just looking for an FPS that's actually fun and not boring, repetitive pap like Metroid Prime: Hunters.
SRY

« Reply #10087 on: October 18, 2012, 02:26:21 AM »
I'm sure you're already aware of it, Raban, but in case you're not, a certain website has a good DS list thread.

Himu

« Reply #10088 on: October 18, 2012, 02:35:11 AM »
Warning, a lot of games on that list, such as Legend of Kage 2, are kosuge.
IYKYK

« Reply #10089 on: October 18, 2012, 02:39:26 AM »
Kosuge? Uhwhuh?

« Reply #10090 on: October 18, 2012, 02:46:53 AM »
kosu-ge means "crossing over game", which i guess could be a fancy word for sidescrollers.

i think himu-chan meant kuso-ge, which means "shit game", though the term is usually used affectionately in Japan.

kage 2 isn't a kusoge, though.  it's not worth $30 or $40 but i think it's been $10 since two weeks after its release, and that's not such a bad price for it.

Ah. Thanks for the explanation. To be honest, I got most of my DS games off that list's recommendation. I found it to be pretty comprehensive! Any gems not on that list, Oscar/Stringer?

Himu

« Reply #10091 on: October 18, 2012, 02:47:03 AM »
Yeah, it's not bad at 5 dollars.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10092 on: October 18, 2012, 02:50:12 AM »
Ehhhhhhhhhh, I think it mostly covers it as far as ds goes but like Oscar said, I can't comment on latter day ds catalogue because I've been without a ds for almost two years - which is unfortunate. But most of the regulars are on the list.
IYKYK

« Reply #10093 on: October 18, 2012, 02:55:45 AM »
I see. Yeah, the newest game on there looks to be Pokemon B/W so...maybe last updated late 2010? For someone like me and by the sound of it, Raban, it's a decent resource for latecomers to the DS.

« Reply #10094 on: October 18, 2012, 02:56:52 AM »
Ehhhhhhhhhh, I think it mostly covers it as far as ds goes but like Oscar said, I can't comment on latter day ds catalogue because I've been without a ds for almost two years - which is unfortunate. But most of the regulars are on the list.

Did you get bored and sell it or something?

Himu

« Reply #10095 on: October 18, 2012, 03:00:15 AM »
Well, my ds broke in 2011 so I guess it's been about a year and some change actually.

I've got Dragon Quest VI, 999, Dragon Ball ds 2, Okamiden, and Radiant Historia sitting here. Which I all bought but was unable to play.

Gotta say I've missed my ds but 3ds isn't a terribly good ds replacement because the battery life is utter shit even with ds games, but it's better than nothing, which is what I had for quite some time.

And no, the list looks updated. It's even got Ghost Trick on it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10096 on: October 18, 2012, 03:02:17 AM »

Did you get bored and sell it or something?

I DROPPED IT. :(

Then 3ds came out, and I was totally considering getting one to replace my beautiful ds. But the launch seemed like a waste, and it seemed pointless buying a ds lite when I was going to get a 3ds eventually anyways, so I just waited for the xl to drop.

Honestly, playing a ds at work or at home is one of the biggest things I miss, playing it in bed with some headphones, stylus in hand, playing a relaxing game.

:bow DS :bow2
IYKYK

« Reply #10097 on: October 18, 2012, 03:02:28 AM »
haha na, the klutz dropped it and it wanted to die so badly that it did.

:lol Kevorkianed, huh?

Himu

« Reply #10098 on: October 18, 2012, 03:09:21 AM »
Ghost Trick, Radiant Historia, DQ6, Monster Tale, Okamiden, DQMJ2 are all on the list.

PLAY GHOST TRICK. And cry.
IYKYK

« Reply #10099 on: October 18, 2012, 03:09:47 AM »
Yeah those DSes sure seemed to jump out of the hand on their own way too often. I bought a few "for parts" dropped DS Lites one year for christmas presents, and resoldered them. You'd be surprised how many of those dropped units just had a detached SMT fuse or loose solder joint on the power switch. Quick enough fix.

Himu

« Reply #10100 on: October 18, 2012, 03:11:58 AM »
That's what I thought was wrong. I even ordered special screw drivers to open it and nope.
IYKYK

« Reply #10101 on: October 18, 2012, 03:13:32 AM »
I tracked down Monster Tale. Good game. Seems like it kinda flew under the radar. I forgot about Radiant Historia. I missed out on the original print run and forgot to keep track of when they pushed out the second run.

« Reply #10102 on: October 18, 2012, 03:20:52 AM »
That's what I thought was wrong. I even ordered special screw drivers to open it and nope.

Yeah if it wasn't a fuse rattling around inside the case or the power switch it was just too time-inefficiemt to repair. So many damn SMT bits to test!

I remember my first computer as a kid was an IBM XT. 8 MHz. I swapped out one of the ISA cards and reconnected the 2 mobo power supply connectors in the wrong order (predated the AT keyed-Molex connector). :lol All the caps on the board popped and sparked in a nice little linear fireworks show.

Himu

« Reply #10103 on: October 18, 2012, 03:26:48 AM »
Something definitely rattled. Oh well, I have a 3ds now and can play ds games again. :) And since I'll be moving to a new city soon with an actual public transportation commute, I'll be able to play on the road again. Figure I may pick up some stuff I missed like Brain Training, the Bowser rpg which Oscar swears by, and the Tingle rpg.
IYKYK

« Reply #10104 on: October 18, 2012, 03:35:57 AM »
Have you activated the power save mode on the XL, Stringer? It works for DS games too and you can adjust it and the brightness on the fly in DS mode with the Home and Start buttons. Should be good for at least another 2 hours on brightness setting 2.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10105 on: October 18, 2012, 08:49:18 AM »
Ummm dont get Mario & Luigi 3

It's soooooooooooooo bad
fat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10106 on: October 18, 2012, 08:55:09 AM »
Radiant Historia is fantastic, was my GOTY in 2011. Only problem was the low budget was pretty obvious - a fair amount of backtracking and a repetitive soundtrack.
^_^

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #10107 on: October 18, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »
Bowser's Inside Story is probably my favorite in the series. How can you hate?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10108 on: October 18, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
The "bowser" segments are rancid, lots of ploddding while not feeling like I'm making any progress. No straightforward "goal" - the end just smacks you in the face.

M&L1 > M&L3 > M&L2
fat

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #10109 on: October 18, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »
Fair enough. Can't argue with those critiques of the game.

I still really liked the progression when you are travelling through Bowser's body and slowly unlocking powers for him. Pretty compelling.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:47:53 AM by ToxicAdam »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10110 on: October 18, 2012, 10:34:32 AM »
Warning, a lot of games on that list, such as Legend of Kage 2, are kosuge.

Kusoge-

I like "kosuge" though -- like, maybe it means "it's a little impressive."

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10111 on: October 18, 2012, 10:57:31 AM »
Lots of people loved Bowser's Inside Story but I wasn't a fan either, demi. Got sick of fighting the same 2 groups of enemies over and over, doing the same patterned attacks, and I absolutely DETESTED the music (accordians, chord progression reminiscent of minimal techno... it was like the musician for the game heard Samim - Heater and wanted to make nearly every song like that). Also wasn't into Treehouse's localization, I think it was so overbaked and it tried sooooo hard to be funny and clever, but missed the mark bigtime.

Favorite Mario RPG is still by far the original SNES one.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #10112 on: October 18, 2012, 11:12:20 AM »
Haven't had good experiences with Mario rpgs. Super mario rpg was terrible, Mario and Luigi 1 was terrible. I like Paper Mario though.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #10113 on: October 18, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »
Ghost Trick, Radiant Historia, DQ6, Monster Tale, Okamiden, DQMJ2 are all on the list.

PLAY GHOST TRICK. And cry.

I own Ghost Trick on iOS, Radiant Historia is on the list. I'm actually not crazy about the DQ remakes on DS. I recognize them as great games, but I'm just not interested. I'm really fascinated with the stuff Level 5 did to the series, so I have DQIX.

Monster Tale isn't very good (I mean, it's a well-done 2D action-adventure, there are plenty of those even on the same system), neither is Okamiden, and I have no familiarity with the DQM games at all.

Also not a fan of the Mario and Luigi games. When it comes to RPGs I think I'm set right now. I have Strange Journey, a few Pokemon games, FFIV, Chrono Trigger and like I said, I'll be grabbing Radiant Historia at some point. I think I'm good.

I'm sure you're already aware of it, Raban, but in case you're not, a certain website has a good DS list thread.

I was using Metacritic, but this works too. Thanks!
SRY

Himu

« Reply #10114 on: October 18, 2012, 11:20:51 AM »
"Fascinating" things level 5 has done to the series: stupid class requirements.
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #10115 on: October 18, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »
The item alchemy is kick-ass.
SRY

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10116 on: October 18, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »
It's also kick-useless, fuck alchemy
fat

« Reply #10117 on: October 18, 2012, 12:36:20 PM »
Get Kirby Mass Attack.
Alchemy is awful in all games.
ǚ

archnemesis

« Reply #10118 on: October 18, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »
You need to play more Atelier games, Owl-faced Wizard.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 and Inazuma Eleven are also new-ish good DS games.

« Reply #10119 on: October 18, 2012, 12:39:08 PM »
You need to play more Atelier games, Owl-faced Wizard.
YOU NEED TO SUCK MY DICK IN HELL
ǚ

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10120 on: October 18, 2012, 12:40:39 PM »
I feel I should like Inazuma but the gameplay just came off as so bad and uncontrollable to me. I really, really want to like it, though.

Devil Survivor is more of the same bullshit - which isnt a bad thing for those involved, but I just got too frustrated. They feel so unbalanced in the later game.
fat

cool breeze

« Reply #10121 on: October 18, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »
I've only played maybe 4 hours of it, but Solatorobo is solid too.  I need to get back to one of these days.

and if you don't mind importing, Chou Soujuu Mecha MG is awesome.  I always wondered why Nintendo never brought it over.  It isn't text heavy and considering the stuff they did localize, it's just weird.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:48:26 PM by fryinghigh »

archnemesis

« Reply #10122 on: October 18, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »
I really didn't like Solatorobo even though it had plenty of potential. The worst part of it is the constant hand holding. The game never allows players to solve a situation by themselves. Instead it insists on cramming yet another tutorial down your throat.

It took a while for Inazuma Eleven to click with me, but once I mastered the controls it was a lot of fun gameplay-wise. The story and characters are crappy kiddy stuff though.

cool breeze

« Reply #10123 on: October 18, 2012, 12:59:47 PM »
I started Solatorobo after playing Skyward Sword, so maybe that's why I didn't notice it.

The problem I saw was the potential for tedious combat and general low level of difficulty.  But those were the early goings.  I assumed there's more than just grab enemy, throw into another enemy, repeat.

archnemesis

« Reply #10124 on: October 18, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »
Yep, that's pretty much it and you can easily break the stat system with a little bit of min-maxing.

Himu

« Reply #10125 on: October 18, 2012, 09:40:15 PM »
Two of the worst? I know you don't like DQ8 but what about 10?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10126 on: October 18, 2012, 09:48:46 PM »
The thing about 8 is that I agree with every knock against it. But it love it so. It's not the best DQ, but it's definitely my favorite.

I'm shocked you'd also put 7 over 9 or 8. For their issues, they aren't even on the same footing as 7's problems.

You do realize what you've started, ya?

Haven't played 6, but...

9 = 4 = 8 = 5 = 3 > 2 > 1 > 7

The thing is, with editing, shorter game length, and not having to go through dungeons a billion times to get shards, I'd probably put 7 at the top. It is, in every word, an evolution on Horii did in Chrono Trigger.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10127 on: October 18, 2012, 10:01:52 PM »
I'd agree with those recs. I'd suggest 4 and 5 equally.

I don't think 8 is a terrible game and I fail to see how any DQ fan could see it that way, but it does have some pretty heavy flaws that go against what DQ had built almost 20 years up towards being, fast combat being one of them. But the characters, scale of adventure, quests, touch my little heart. I'd love a remake of 8 on 3ds, and by extension 7, as well.

You'll notice I put = signs on my list. That's because ranking one DQ over the other is a fool's game. I find them each - for the most part- equal in quality, but with a different set of strengths, weaknesses, and focus. I think it's about the only long running jrpg series or series period, I can say that about. DQ is damn consistent with me.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10128 on: October 18, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »
I agree with all that.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10129 on: October 18, 2012, 10:34:30 PM »
1, 2 and 9 are my least favorites (and probably 10 but I won't count that)... 8 was just so amazing for me, seeing the world come alive, with the awesome music and really great characterization. My favorite though is definitely 5...

series rankings? (based on originals, not remakes... since I didn't like the DQ4 or 6 remakes as much as the original titles)

5 > 4 > 8 > 7 > 3 > 6 > |...| > 9 > 1 > 2
^_^

« Reply #10130 on: October 19, 2012, 12:14:50 AM »
I would like to state that I finished DW II three times as a kid. I also ate lead chips off the side of our house. Coincidence? That's unpossible.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #10131 on: October 19, 2012, 12:21:27 AM »
If you like RPGs and have a DS, SMT: Strange Journey is a must-play. I'm up to the 5th sector and game is sooooooo hot. Pisses all over Devil Survivor

Himu

« Reply #10132 on: October 19, 2012, 01:08:30 AM »
I would like to state that I finished DW II three times as a kid. I also ate lead chips off the side of our house. Coincidence? That's unpossible.

:lol :lol :lol
IYKYK

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #10133 on: October 19, 2012, 01:56:35 AM »
I still stand by Okamiden.  It's not great, but it's the best Zelda game on DS.  It was interesting enough to finish, at least.  I didn't asterisk it, so I don't think it's a must-have, but anything I listed sans-asterisk is, I feel, of interest to anyone who is a fan of that genre.

I just have a problem with the PS2 game's endless text. It felt like the ratio of cutscenes:gameplay was reaching MGS levels. Doesn't the DS game suffer the same problem?
SRY

« Reply #10134 on: October 19, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »
To be fair to DW II, the GBC remake is pretty good. Battles are sped up and Cannock + Moonbrooke can equip a few more things. It's generally easier all around, with the possible exception of Rhone where blanket parties can still happen at any moment.

Oscar's spot on with the GBC remake of DW III. Great game. It improved on so many things -- pachisi, movement speed, classes...I played it again this summer for the first time in a while.

I actually still have the GBC cartridges. I was at a Fry's in July '01 and didn't even know the GBA existed. And there, on a shelf, was an indigo GBA with copies of DW I&II and DW III sitting next to it. It was...magical.

Himu

« Reply #10135 on: October 19, 2012, 03:28:01 PM »
I like dq2 snes and gbc a lot. definitely better than 1.
IYKYK

« Reply #10136 on: October 19, 2012, 03:30:22 PM »
I forgot about DQI&II on the SNES! Played it a while back. Yeah, the DQII soundtrack was pretty good on that. The graphics were pretty damn good too. I seem to recall that the gold and exp were multiplied even more than on the GBC version, though. I thought it ended up making the game too short.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #10137 on: October 22, 2012, 01:10:54 AM »
I never replayed DQ6 so it still stands as my fav :x

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10138 on: October 22, 2012, 09:59:47 AM »
DQ7 is rancid, in length and the craptacular job system.

Job Systems & Alchemy can burn in hell

I just want to tap A and level up
fat

archnemesis

« Reply #10139 on: October 22, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »
When do you unlock the job system in DQ7?