Author Topic: The Official Psychoanalysis GAF Thread  (Read 5319171 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: The Official ***** ***** ***** ***** about yet another forum thread
« Reply #18360 on: April 04, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »
i can't think of any particular companies off-hand that i have a strong affiliation with

Sesame Street
©ZH

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #18361 on: April 04, 2012, 09:02:45 AM »
I have a certain sense of attachment to Nintendo, but my case is a little different from the average n-thing. If we were to measure one's N-tardness by a game to game basis, quite possibly every person here on EB would beat me handily, including some of the most hardcore Nintendophobes. I actually don't care for 99% of Nintendo's library, but think the mainline Mario platformers, Zeldas and (well up to Brawl anyway) SSBs are pretty fucking awesome. But I never blindly supported them. I was severely disappointed when we first got word of the Wii's specs back in Dec. 2005, and remain so to this day, and I'd never argue that the Wii's library remotely matches up to the PS360. Furthermore I was disappointed when good third party games like Monster Hunter came to the Wii since they'd be held back by its tech.

I was pretty ecstatic when we heard rumors last summer about the Wii-U beingn 5X more powerful than the 360, but felt that it was too good to be true. It would suck if Nintendo went two generations with a console that was weaker than one from the previous generation, and I don't have any interest in defending such a decision.

But yeah, so for Nintendo, it's just Mario, Zelda, and SSB (hopefully the next one's good again), and MS/Sony for everything else.

:bow me :bow2

Even before typing this, you were my favorite Ninthing. But now even more so. Real talk :heartbeat

Unzip

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #18362 on: April 04, 2012, 09:15:15 AM »
Nothing wrong with being an inner fanboy I suppose. We all have things we irrationally like. Its when you become an obnoxious can't shut up outer fanboy when it crosses the line.

Himu

« Reply #18363 on: April 04, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »
I BETRAY COMPANIES ON A ROUTINE BASIS. I HAVE NO CONSOLE AFFILIATION.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #18364 on: April 04, 2012, 11:08:40 AM »
Nothing wrong with being an inner fanboy I suppose. We all have things we irrationally like. Its when you become an obnoxious can't shut up outer fanboy when it crosses the line.

Yeah, everyone has their preferences and whatnot.  That's not bad at all.  It gets bad when it's about proving who's right ("me") and who's wrong ("everyone who doesn't agree with me")

Whatever I come off as is up to others.  I think I seem pro-Sony and anti-Nintendo, even though I think Sony is a fuck and Nintendo makes most of my favorite games.  I'll only admit to being a Zelda fanthing.  And Acquire.  And Compile.  And Grandia's battle system.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #18365 on: April 04, 2012, 11:19:35 AM »
In this part of the thread we learn about denial.
:{]

Tasty

« Reply #18366 on: April 04, 2012, 11:41:52 AM »
Was that post made possible by Google Chrome?

How is it BS? Dude you're catching mad feelings over this aren't ya?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
cue " :lol why do you think I care about internet responses lololololololol" goes back to browsing GAF
[close]

Nah, I just find it really amusing that you consider yourself a bastion of objectivity, when you're basically the same as me, just the other way around.

« Reply #18367 on: April 04, 2012, 11:48:54 AM »
I mean, AceBandage.

Seriously.

Ace Bandage is a hateful cretinous scab, but there are dozens of fanfucks on gaf of every stripe who are as bad or worse, no lie.  He just has a higher profile because he is singleminded and never stops posting, ever.  I hate StevieP more, honestly.  Compare the worst of (for example) the Sony camp: thuway, OnQ123 or whatever his name is, LiquidMetal14, iceats (or whatever his name is, but he might not count because he seems to have some sort of genuine mental disorder), yurinka, Hyuga.  They all belong in the same meatgrinder - I'd probably push OnQ and Hyuga first, tbh.

EDIT:  I can't think of any 360 fans that are worse off the top of my head tho.  Saw a recent promising junior whose name I can't remember, but I expect him to be banned pretty soon.

EDIT2: The ones who piss me off most are the passive-aggressive ones.  Guys like TheBishop, StevieP, Heavy etc.  At least the flaming distinguished mentally-challenged fellows come by it honest.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:54:30 AM by Owl-faced Wizard »
ǚ

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #18368 on: April 04, 2012, 11:56:49 AM »
anyone who claims to be objective is full of shit.  even mr. robot opiate isn't objective.

and why would anyone want to be?  to be human is to be subjective.  the only reason people want to claim to be objective is because they want their opinion to be more right than the next guy's so that they win the opinion olympics.

but what if you don't care enough to be subjective?

that's sort of where i am at, regarding video games

i mean, i just don't give a fuck one way or the other the vast majority of the time

is there a slot for the apathetic, is what i am asking

sup

Powerslave

« Reply #18369 on: April 04, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »
I don't know any of the posters that Owl-faced Wizard posted.

This makes my apathy towards GAF more apparent and defines again how cool I am

:bow Powerslave :bow2

« Reply #18370 on: April 04, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »
Yeah, I don't necessarily think there's anything noble about striving for staunch objectivity. We all have irrational affinities for things, and that's cool.

I really think that what makes fanboyism -- and really, that's not entirely fair as what I'm describing extends to all sorts of issues where being a fan of something isn't even really applicable -- frustrating is that it just stifles legitimate discussion and inquiry for anyone not intimately acquainted with the situation at hand. I mean, I understand that there's a lot of trolls out there, and we're trained to become cynical and assume everyone is just screwing with us, but anytime someone says something the least bit negative about a sacred cow, you'll have a dozen people just chomping at the bits to spout battle-tested talking points in an effort to annihilate the person in what they perceive the situation to be a serious debate.

People who haven't been following the climate of the situation closely enough to have participated in the same thread template ten times -- and thus mastered the talking points -- are chased out as idiots who need to do their homework before assessing how one of the big three appears to be doing  right now, for instance.

Perhaps there's just not great conversation to be had anyway in sizing up how a company or franchise is doing. However, any potential for it gets destroyed when people stop treating it as a casual conversation about nonsense that doesn't ultimately matter (which it is), and morph into being political campaign surrogates.

And that was a stupid rant. I apologize, good men and women of the Bore.

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #18371 on: April 04, 2012, 02:05:06 PM »
I'm mostly a fan of simple and to the point gaming.  Right now I just do nintendo stuff and ios as a result.  PC gaming will forever be off the table because its not as accessible and streamlined as I want it to be.  I'm kinda regretting buying xenoblade, but I imagine I'll be able to flip it at a high price if I find it intolerable.
sad

Himu

« Reply #18372 on: April 04, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »
I'm mostly a fan of simple and to the point gaming.  Right now I just do nintendo stuff and ios as a result.  PC gaming will forever be off the table because its not as accessible and streamlined as I want it to be.  I'm kinda regretting buying xenoblade, but I imagine I'll be able to flip it at a high price if I find it intolerable.

steam, dummy.
IYKYK

parallax

« Reply #18373 on: April 04, 2012, 02:27:16 PM »
I mean, AceBandage.

Seriously.

Ace Bandage is a hateful cretinous scab, but there are dozens of fanfucks on gaf of every stripe who are as bad or worse, no lie.  He just has a higher profile because he is singleminded and never stops posting, ever.  I hate StevieP more, honestly.  Compare the worst of (for example) the Sony camp: thuway, OnQ123 or whatever his name is, LiquidMetal14, iceats (or whatever his name is, but he might not count because he seems to have some sort of genuine mental disorder), yurinka, Hyuga.  They all belong in the same meatgrinder - I'd probably push OnQ and Hyuga first, tbh.

EDIT:  I can't think of any 360 fans that are worse off the top of my head tho.  Saw a recent promising junior whose name I can't remember, but I expect him to be banned pretty soon.

EDIT2: The ones who piss me off most are the passive-aggressive ones.  Guys like TheBishop, StevieP, Heavy etc.  At least the flaming distinguished mentally-challenged fellows come by it honest.

heavy is passive agressive on the gaming side?

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #18374 on: April 04, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
Heavy's a tool. No idea what he's like in Gaming though.

Probably an even bigger twat.
bent

Sman

« Reply #18375 on: April 04, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »
DJ Tet news alert!

Guess who's back?

Quote from: Jamie xxoo
Hello, it's been a few years since I last posted because I reset my GAF password but no longer had access to the email address I set it up with. I just finally got the account working again.

Since last posting I finished transition! I'm also a redhead instead of an ash blonde.

... that's all I got.

Ok, if you guys insist, here's one photo:

(Image removed from quote.)

Last quote/photo fake, just to tease you.  ;)
[close]

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #18376 on: April 04, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »

steam, dummy.

I have Steam and I still have games that simply don't work for certain reasons. I still have to go in and futz with them for various reasons to get them to work. My battlefield 3 right now doesn't work at all for instance since an update.

This is why some people will never be into PC games. Once you introduce the idea of I have to go in and futz with something that turns some people off.

Of course the PC offers the opportunity that a non-closed system always will.

So different strokes.

I rarely talk about platforms. I talk about games. The people who tend to excessively talk about their gaming in platform terms no matter what the platform rather than actual games tend to be the most annoying.

One of my favorite things about the bore is that we tend to have simply game threads here. Rather than the "issues"  threads that dominate GAF. When you look at the first page of threads on GAF, there is so much wanna be industry speculation, fanboy shit, system wars, etc. It dwarfs the actual talk about games.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:51:33 PM by Stoney Mason »

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #18377 on: April 04, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »

steam, dummy.

Steam was the first thing I tried.  Convoluted. Doesn't help that all the games look unappealing.  I'll stick to my popcap/pikpok stuff on my ipod and whatever Nintendo's doing, thanks.

edit: I wish our cheeseburger would come back.  Ju.... Junpei? 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:51:32 PM by EmCeeGrammar »
sad

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #18378 on: April 04, 2012, 03:54:54 PM »
men play on pc
boys play on console
children play on nintendo
nat

Himu

« Reply #18379 on: April 04, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »
I'm surprised you find all the games look unappealing, considering there is an indie surgence. Games like vvvvvv, super meat boy, dustforce, pj winterbottom, et al seem up your alley.
IYKYK

DJ_Tet

« Reply #18380 on: April 04, 2012, 04:01:03 PM »
daaaaamn jamie is so hot  :-*

Also, sman, gotta give you a little credit, I don't know why it took me so long but I was looking through some pics the other night and just made the Bring Em Young connection, clever touch as always

And you might want to take a look at the 4chan OA thread, skand is begging for a photoshop of him with Phil Collins' daughter, someone posted a good pic as a template, just need to make the dude about half as tall as he is now and it should be gold.
TIT

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18381 on: April 04, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »
I'm surprised you find all the games look unappealing, considering there is an indie surgence. Games like vvvvvv, super meat boy, dustforce, pj winterbottom, et al seem up your alley.

Steam also has Jamestown, The Binding of Isaac, Hoard, AaaAAaAa!! A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Defense Grid, and Serious Sam Double D.
dog

Himu

« Reply #18382 on: April 04, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »

Steam also has Jamestown, The Binding of Isaac, Hoard, AaaAAaAa!! A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, Defense Grid, and Serious Sam Double D.

audiosurf, trackmania, total war series, civilization, even games like starcraft are all about gameplay. there's even a sim city 5 out next year that sounds balls awesome.

i seriously don't know what he wants.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18383 on: April 04, 2012, 04:08:49 PM »

audiosurf, trackmania, total war series, civilization, even games like starcraft are all about gameplay. there's even a sim city 5 out next year that sounds balls awesome.

Whimsy and limp wristed waggling.

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #18384 on: April 04, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »
I already have games like VvVvVv and Trackmania and other stuff like that on nintendo/ios platforms.  Starcraft is tryhard bullshit, and I'm not into the idea of learning keyboard macros to efficiently play the game. 

And generally, I just don't like the act of playing a game on a computer.  Its not comfortable or ideal and would require setting up a home theater pc at which point I'm wondering why I'm just not using a console.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 04:20:46 PM by EmCeeGrammar »
sad

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #18385 on: April 04, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »

Whimsy and limp wristed waggling.

You don't know me!  I vigorously assert my motions through the waggle wand!
sad

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #18386 on: April 04, 2012, 04:24:53 PM »
BUT DOES IT HAVE HEART™

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #18388 on: April 04, 2012, 05:16:42 PM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469092

I can already tell there are going to be SS apologists ITT.

Not Skyward Sword.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #18389 on: April 04, 2012, 05:21:13 PM »
Fuck Israel.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #18390 on: April 04, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »
DJ Tet news alert!

Guess who's back?

Hello, it's been a few years since I last posted because I reset my GAF password but no longer had access to the email address I set it up with. I just finally got the account working again.

Since last posting I finished transition! I'm also a redhead instead of an ash blonde.

... that's all I got.

Ok, if you guys insist, here's one photo:

(Image removed from quote.)

Last quote/photo fake, just to tease you.  ;)
[close]

Damn Jamie looks great, good to hear she's doing well.

DJ_Tet

« Reply #18391 on: April 04, 2012, 06:32:20 PM »
Never understood why she got so mad at my topic, I always thought she was hot as hell.
TIT

king of the internet

• 🚽

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #18393 on: April 04, 2012, 07:29:28 PM »
was gonna post that. chortled for a good ten seconds. shout outs to that dude.

« Reply #18394 on: April 04, 2012, 07:40:14 PM »
Actually kinda pisses me off he just got sour reactions/fanboy accusations/bans for his trouble.  Thread deserved better, don't care who writes his cheques.
ǚ

Chinner

« Reply #18395 on: April 04, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »
why is he being accused of having a meltdown? hes clearly taking the piss of shitty journalism/fanboyism if anything.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #18396 on: April 04, 2012, 07:46:12 PM »
Actually kinda pisses me off he just got sour reactions/fanboy accusations/bans for his trouble.  Thread deserved better, don't care who writes his cheques.
why is he being accused of having a meltdown? hes clearly taking the piss of shitty journalism/fanboyism if anything.

Agreed.

Uber is a pretty okay guy. A shame  :'(
bent

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #18397 on: April 04, 2012, 08:06:31 PM »
If you're looking for a real meltdown, this might hit the spot: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36657611&postcount=415

Viral FUD.

Lan

« Reply #18398 on: April 04, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »
you dudes are laughable when it comes to females posting pics of themselves.

« Reply #18399 on: April 04, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »
It's possible to have subjective preferences and still be objective.
ǚ

Freyj

« Reply #18400 on: April 04, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »
Steam was the first thing I tried.  Convoluted. Doesn't help that all the games look unappealing.  I'll stick to my popcap/pikpok stuff on my ipod and whatever Nintendo's doing, thanks.

What an awful post.  :(

Oblivion

« Reply #18401 on: April 04, 2012, 10:44:12 PM »
That redhead's pretty hawt.

:heartbeat redheads :heartbeat

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #18402 on: April 04, 2012, 10:45:42 PM »

I've *literally* had every person mentioned in this post on my ignore list for quite some time. I had no idea that they were universally regarded as shitheads.

^5
Unzip

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18403 on: April 04, 2012, 10:57:47 PM »
In spite of my feelings towards Nintendo, I was a Wii only owner for eight months (December 2007 - August 2008).  My thought was that the Wii's software was so sparse that I could get through a game I liked in 2-3 months (I was taking a shitload of classes, working on homework/projects into odd hours of the night, with girlfriends, friends, and work taking up most of my free time).  The plan started off great with Super Mario Galaxy but towards the end of my Wii ownership, I couldn't even find a good game to spend any time on.  After the piss poor E3 where Nintendo basically gave core gamers the middle finger, and getting bored with House of the Dead 2+3 and Metal Slug Anthology, it was time to sell the fucker off.  Since the Wii market was still strong, I sold everything at cost, which accounting for depreciation, I made a small profit.

I own a Wii now but it hasn't been turned on in four months.  The last time I turned it on was to see if it worked with my new TV.

Defense mechanism.  Most gaffers these days barely have the cognitive faculties to pick up on satire, even if it is exaggerated and blown up in their faces.  They operate in a black and white world and any amount of gray fries their underdeveloped brain.  Since they're not sure how to handle it (often because they have no clue what exactly is going on as the message is not laid out right in front of them), they claim he is having a meltdown instead.  See: Himuro and the Koshiba thing.
🍆🍆

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18404 on: April 04, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »
How drunk would you get if you took a shot every time devolution typed out "my gender" on a typical day?

dead
püp

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #18405 on: April 04, 2012, 11:06:57 PM »
are you questioning my tolerance? drink off
dur

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #18406 on: April 04, 2012, 11:10:31 PM »

I've *literally* had every person mentioned in this post on my ignore list for quite some time. I had no idea that they were universally regarded as shitheads.

^5

Jesus, Shaka, how many people have you murdered in the digital realm, anyway?
MMA

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18407 on: April 04, 2012, 11:11:32 PM »
Anyway, the friendzone thread on GAF is both sad and funny as fuck.

Could you please post a link?
🍆🍆

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #18408 on: April 04, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »
I see JokerOfSpergs doing a fine job in that thread.
bent

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18409 on: April 04, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469095

Thank you

Edit:  I read through part of the thread and I'm very unsympathetic to these types of guys.  Most self proclaimed nice guys aren't nice guys at all but are just passive aggressive with undercurrents of hostility and usually a myriad of other issues.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:25:27 PM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

EmCeeGrammar

« Reply #18410 on: April 04, 2012, 11:22:35 PM »

Not as awful as pc gaming and its acne scarred warriors.
sad

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18411 on: April 04, 2012, 11:33:27 PM »

Given the shitfits I've seen thrown over Mass Effect 3, westaboos have no room to say shit to weeaboos about anything for quite some time.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #18412 on: April 04, 2012, 11:43:14 PM »
the only game that matters is ASIANS KICKING ASS

IYKYK

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #18413 on: April 05, 2012, 12:52:01 AM »
Thread about new method of male birth control turned into how bad women have it. not surprised
dur

ZephyrFate

« Reply #18414 on: April 05, 2012, 01:22:10 AM »
More interesting and worthwhile topic anyway

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18416 on: April 05, 2012, 01:35:51 AM »
yeah, time to leave the nthings to it - we're onto "Zelda was done on a dev machine before it got the 400% power jump from the dev kit upgrade!"

they're just making a rod for their own back. Eagerly awaiting the "no one believed it would be a technical power house" posts.

You're totally missing the point. If WiiU is 3x stronger than xbox360 and the xbox720/PS4 is like say 2x that then the WiiU is like next gen.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18417 on: April 05, 2012, 02:32:09 AM »
3x x 2x is 6x man

logic is sound

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #18418 on: April 05, 2012, 02:56:12 AM »
Anyway, the friendzone thread on GAF is both sad and funny as fuck.

Is the friendzone thing supposed to be just about women not wanting a relationship with a dude but wanting to be friends, or is it about them avoiding a relationship BECAUSE they are friends? I don't think the latter is all that much of a thing, and to the extent it does happen it tends to be with women who are prone to fucked
 up relationships and don't want to drag their friends into a trainwreck.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:03:13 AM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #18419 on: April 05, 2012, 02:56:15 AM »

地平線