Author Topic: The Official Psychoanalysis GAF Thread  (Read 5319495 times)

etiolate

Re: The Official ***** ***** ***** ***** about yet another forum thread
« Reply #18300 on: April 03, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »
Given that I don't really pay much attention to the console wars, what are Sony fans ultimately guilty of? Is it just the obnoxious love of mediocre stuff like Killzone and Uncharted being heralded as much better than they are, or is there more that I'm missing? I remember that there was a lot of apologist nonsense during the PSN downtime. What else makes Sony fanboys uniquely insufferable?

It's mostly the apologist nonsense. In the Nintendo = North Korea and Sony = America analogy, Sony fans are supporting every Patriot Act level thing.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #18301 on: April 03, 2012, 05:46:39 PM »
steve:

1) the pre-emptive defense of aaa franchise entries BEFORE the entry has been played, and the franchise hype in general
2) the embarrassing earnestness with which they swallow disingenuous sony corporate propaganda yet dismiss the same from ms/nintendo
3) the hilariously awkward and contorted interpretation of facts/figures (specs, sales) in the most pathetically promotional way
4) the ANIMATED GIFS OH GOD
5) the rejection of games they might like because they don't fit into a pro-corporate agenda, and the willingness to embrace sketchier games because "sony needs our help!"
6) the terrible personalities

and as with ALL fanboys: the misplaced HOPE FOR PERSONAL HAPPINESS tied to a totally bogus corporate development/manufacturing/publishing entity.
duc

Tasty

« Reply #18302 on: April 03, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »
i mean JESUS CHRIST if you are possessed of a singular reverence for mascots after the age of 12, you functionally abdicate any and all social relevance to humanity at large, and should simply SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER because you CANNOT CONTRIBUTE

:fbm

Tasty

« Reply #18303 on: April 03, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »
i grew up with nintendo and that's why i think they're garbage

i cannot abide nostalgia

Even my magical, rose-tinted, unicorns-and-rainbows nostalgia for Nintendo only got me halfway through the Wii's lifecycle.

Got me 4/5 of the way through.

Lan

« Reply #18304 on: April 03, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »
I like games. I'm an adult that can afford any system or game I please, there is no need to be a fanboy to any system imo.

Tasty

« Reply #18305 on: April 03, 2012, 05:52:40 PM »
I like games. I'm an adult that can afford any system or game I please, there is no need to be a fanboy to any system imo.

I agree.

I still get made fun of for saying I buy Nintendo consoles because I find their games fun. JEEZE ANDREX STOP LIKING THINGS I DONT LIKE

« Reply #18306 on: April 03, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »
I agree.

I still get made fun of for saying I buy Nintendo consoles because I find their games fun. JEEZE ANDREX STOP LIKING THINGS I DONT LIKE
Can you play any games on a non-Nintendo piece of hardware right now?

Tasty

« Reply #18307 on: April 03, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »
I agree.

Ya, my Samsung® Galaxy Nexus™ 4G and PC℠.

« Reply #18308 on: April 03, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
Ah. So you finally got a PC, eh?

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #18309 on: April 03, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
just because there is no need to be a fanboy to any system, doesn't mean that there isn't the desire to.

Lan

« Reply #18310 on: April 03, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »
just because there is no need to be a fanboy to any system, doesn't mean that there isn't the desire to.

People desire to do a lot of pointless/stupid things in life. Oh well.

Cascade

« Reply #18311 on: April 03, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »
Given that I don't really pay much attention to the console wars, what are Sony fans ultimately guilty of? Is it just the obnoxious love of mediocre stuff like Killzone and Uncharted being heralded as much better than they are, or is there more that I'm missing? I remember that there was a lot of apologist nonsense during the PSN downtime. What else makes Sony fanboys uniquely insufferable?
It's pretty much the hyping of any Sony exclusive no matter the quality, they seriously won't believe any reasons for why C tier trash like Infamous, Resistance, Motorstorm and Ratchet and Clank don't sell well. Sony fanboys seriously believe that the reasons that these games are trashed in reviews and sales is because of Sony's bad marketing and nothing to do with the fact that they're made by C tier devs that would be bankrupt by now if it weren't for Sony's unbelievable lack of any business sense. That coupled with seriously believing that PSN has always been on the same level as XBL and worst of all actually saying they prefer the dualshock 3 to the 360 controller is some of the clinically unfathomable nonsense they come up with.

All that said, they're still nowhere near as bad as Ninthings as at least Sony doesn't treat them like trash.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18312 on: April 03, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
I agree.

But you wanted a gaming PC for the sole purpose of playing Nintendo games smh.

parallax

« Reply #18313 on: April 03, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
It's pretty much the hyping of any Sony exclusive no matter the quality, they seriously won't believe any reasons for why C tier trash like Infamous, Resistance, Motorstorm and Ratchet and Clank don't sell well. Sony fanboys seriously believe that the reasons that these games are trashed in reviews and sales is because of Sony's bad marketing and nothing to do with the fact that they're made by C tier devs that would be bankrupt by now if it weren't for Sony's unbelievable lack of any business sense. That coupled with seriously believing that PSN has always been on the same level as XBL and worst of all actually saying they prefer the dualshock 3 to the 360 controller is some of the clinically unfathomable nonsense they come up with.

All that said, they're still nowhere near as bad as Ninthings as at least Sony doesn't treat them like trash.

i prefer the ps3 controller to the 360. you lost me with that one.

Tasty

Re: Re: The Official ***** ***** ***** ***** about yet another forum thread
« Reply #18314 on: April 03, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »
I agree.

But you wanted a gaming PC for the sole purpose of playing Nintendo games smh.

Welllll I did say I wanted to play other games then Himu and Oscar got in this big fight and now I can only see Oscar on the weekends. :(

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18315 on: April 03, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »
I'm just a former SEGA fanboy without a home, nowadays the only thing I will vehemently defend and the only thing that really interests me is quality Japanese console games.
^_^

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18316 on: April 03, 2012, 07:02:23 PM »
I find it sad that unquestioning loyalty towards a certain corporation is now an allowable personality trait.  For nintards, Nintendo is a part of their identity.  There's something very sad about that.  Also, most video game fantards pale in comparison to most sports fans.  They are some of the biggest, most obnoxious fucks out there, and unlike most nerds who might just make some snide remark if you're a fanboy of a different stripe, sports fans will take your non-fellatio of their favorite team or sport seriously.

I will say that the last time I was a fanboy over anything was the Dreamcast.  It was probably the last time I ever really gave a shit about a video game system or how well it is doing in the grand scheme of things.  I remember how total long shots and mistranslations resulted in many a forum goer pining over releases.  I remember a mistranslation occurred about a NiGHTS 2 and a Shinobi 4 coming to the Dreamcast.  I remember that when Square wasn't totally dismissive of the Dreamcast, people were speculating whether a Square game could come to the system.  I also remember the denial when Sega was going third party.  In fact, OA was created because Opa Opa lost his shit regarding the cancellation.  There was a type of crazy there that only the AceBandages (sorry Andrex, AceBandage is a fucking fanboy loon) and kittonwys of the world these days can live up to.

Sony fanboys were terrible but a lot of that shit cooled off once Killzone 2 wasn't lighting up the charts like what they hoped.  Nintards were always annoying, with this generation seeing an about face: from cheering on the destruction of "traditional games" to now desperately pining that the Wii U is powerful enough to support the latest and greatest from western developers.  I'm confident that they once again win "Most Obnoxious Fanboy" of this generation.
🍆🍆

parallax

« Reply #18317 on: April 03, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
I find it sad that unquestioning loyalty towards a certain corporation is now an allowable personality trait.  For nintards, Nintendo is a part of their identity.  There's something very sad about that.  Also, most video game fantards pale in comparison to most sports fans.  They are some of the biggest, most obnoxious fucks out there, and unlike most nerds who might just make some snide remark if you're a fanboy of a different stripe, sports fans will take your non-fellatio of their favorite team or sport seriously.

I will say that the last time I was a fanboy over anything was the Dreamcast.  It was probably the last time I ever really gave a shit about a video game system or how well it is doing in the grand scheme of things.  I remember how total long shots and mistranslations resulted in many a forum goer pining over releases.  I remember a mistranslation occurred about a NiGHTS 2 and a Shinobi 4 coming to the Dreamcast.  I remember that when Square wasn't totally dismissive of the Dreamcast, people were speculating whether a Square game could come to the system.  I also remember the denial when Sega was going third party.  In fact, OA was created because Opa Opa lost his shit regarding the cancellation.  There was a type of crazy there that only the AceBandages (sorry Andrex, AceBandage is a fucking fanboy loon) and kittonwys of the world these days can live up to.

Sony fanboys were terrible but a lot of that shit cooled off once Killzone 2 wasn't lighting up the charts like what they hoped.  Nintards were always annoying, with this generation seeing an about face: from cheering on the destruction of "traditional games" to now desperately pining that the Wii U is powerful enough to support the latest and greatest from western developers.  I'm confident that they once again win "Most Obnoxious Fanboy" of this generation.

this reminds me, does the xbox have a hardcore fanbase like the others do anymore? i used to hear a lot from them post 360 launch, but havent heard much since.

Himu

« Reply #18318 on: April 03, 2012, 07:31:29 PM »
That's because everyone games on 360 so most 360 owners don't give a shit. Just like how last gen, everyone had a ps2, and the only people who'd cite console wars were idiots because all the games were on ps2.
IYKYK

Hock

« Reply #18319 on: April 03, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »
What I don't get is the people who keep the fanboyism going for multiple generations. I couldn't even make it halfway through one.

Tasty

« Reply #18320 on: April 03, 2012, 07:35:59 PM »
I just want good games which is why I'm not buying a WiiU.

Uhh no your hate of Nintendo is why you're not buying a Wii U. To say there's nothing interesting announced at the moment is one thing, but you've dogmatically said you're not buying one no matter what, even if there are great games. Don't act like you're objective or something. ::)

parallax

« Reply #18321 on: April 03, 2012, 07:48:20 PM »
Give me a melee like smash, and ill glad jump in lupin style.

cool breeze

« Reply #18322 on: April 03, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »
best example of how fucked in the head Sony fans are is still Final Fantasy XIII going multiplatform

then again, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, aka the real Final Fantasy XIII, is a Sony Playstation 3 exclusive.  2017 is the Year of the PS3 :bow2

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18323 on: April 03, 2012, 08:09:56 PM »
I used to be serious about my fanboyism, now I only use it for sarcastic or ironic purposes. Helps keep my blood pressure low and ect.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #18324 on: April 03, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
what's the deal with communities on gaf? I just noticed this when going into the ME3 spoiler thread and everyone talked about how the thread would die now.  Is this a choice or a way to make the forum less crashy?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #18325 on: April 03, 2012, 08:30:51 PM »
I'm so glad I don't talk about video games seriously anymore
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #18326 on: April 03, 2012, 08:32:44 PM »
An intervention took place 2 years ago. This board cured me of my sfaggotry and showed me the way. Xbros fo' lyfe. :rock
©ZH

ZephyrFate

« Reply #18327 on: April 03, 2012, 08:33:29 PM »
More like Gaybox 360.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Tasty

« Reply #18329 on: April 03, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »
I just want good games which is why I'm not buying a WiiU.

Uhh no your hate of Nintendo is why you're not buying a Wii U. To say there's nothing interesting announced at the moment is one thing, but you've dogmatically said you're not buying one no matter what, even if there are great games. Don't act like you're objective or something. ::)

You just proved everybodys point about nintards. I don't hate Nintendo, I just don't see how I can justify buying a console I'd probably never use, especially with how easy nintendo games have been so far. I'm not buying one cause:

1 - I don't like Nintendo's new direction.
2 - latest entries in Nintendo franchises have left a lot to be desired.
3 - I don't like tablets.

And how is this being unreasonable?

Because it's not out yet? It's exactly the same thing as me saying five years ago I'd never get a PS3. Now it's a very attractive prospect. You're opening yourself up for a world of ridicule when you do eventually get one, and I'll be there to call you out on it.

Oblivion

« Reply #18330 on: April 03, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »

Word.

I've noticed over the years that many people (hell, pretty much all of them, actually) that say that they're only interested in games, not consoles are full of shit. There's always some certain level of corporate attachment, much of which was made prevalent this gen when you heard excuse after excuse from the Sony contingent when  their beloved exclusives were no longer exclusive ("FFXIII VS. was the TRUE FF to be hyped about!").

To this day, the only person on the internets I've seen to be truly console agnostic (or at least played the part most convincingly) is Drinky. :bow2

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
The Official ***** ***** ***** ***** about yet another forum thread
« Reply #18331 on: April 03, 2012, 10:24:25 PM »
Kagari changed her avatar from Lightning to the Versus chick THE SECOND Microsoft's bombshell dropped. Never forget.

Unzip

Tasty

« Reply #18332 on: April 03, 2012, 10:36:23 PM »
I think that's a dude, but what do I know

Tasty

« Reply #18333 on: April 03, 2012, 11:17:16 PM »
I'm just saying be prepared. Be very prepared.

« Reply #18334 on: April 03, 2012, 11:19:16 PM »
 ::)
野球

Tasty

« Reply #18335 on: April 03, 2012, 11:28:48 PM »
Wait are we making fun of GAF itt or being GAF? Stfu Andrex

Didn't you want this thread closed? You stfu.

Powerslave

« Reply #18336 on: April 03, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »
lol

Powerslave

« Reply #18337 on: April 03, 2012, 11:32:05 PM »
Spencer, you suck dude  :-\

Tasty

« Reply #18338 on: April 04, 2012, 12:13:56 AM »
I'm just saying be prepared. Be very prepared.

I see you're having your period AceBandage style. I'll leave you alone to fantasize about Miyamoto-sama upending your tea table for long delays until you find a pair of testicles.

::) I just like calling you out on your BS.

« Reply #18339 on: April 04, 2012, 12:18:02 AM »
Nice comeback.
野球

Tasty

« Reply #18340 on: April 04, 2012, 12:19:36 AM »
Nice comeback.

It's not as if his insult was worth a comeback in the first place.

Oh gee, Andrex is a kid joke #93898390989039.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #18341 on: April 04, 2012, 12:19:55 AM »
You guys talk about Nintendo more than actual Ntards. smh

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18342 on: April 04, 2012, 12:33:04 AM »
I'm not above fanboyism, when my allowance only enabled me to buy one system it was always SEGA. I still to this day hold more affection towards SEGA titles than any other company, but it's hardly at a beyond criticism 13 year old nerd virgin level.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18343 on: April 04, 2012, 12:41:58 AM »
the hilarious thing is i'm trying to run the exact "defense" for the Wii U that Nintendo fans are going to have to run -very- *very* soon when the specs drop, yet i'm getting "Why do you hate Nintendo?"

Seriously, no one cares - i don't see the point of Nintendo trying to hit anything over a certain low baseline. Their fans bought into Wii en masse, casuals bought in at that level, and the much much smaller hardcore market largely stayed away. Why on earth would they change their approach to add the super hardcore? As long as the Wii U is a bit above X360 or there abouts it's fine - nthings just got drunk on the "5x X360" nonsense and a few are still holding on to this weird "no news is awesome news" idea. Like Nintendo keeping the specs a secret clearly means they've got some special sauce magic in the box.

That goes back to the Game Cube days.  Feeling insecure that nobody was putting anything on it of note, desperate Nintards created this lie that "well, developers are tight lipped because of strict iron clad NDAs!"  Turns out, there was nothing after all.  The attitude has largely remained, as if developers are scared shitless of Nintendo's NDAs, like Nintendo is the fucking Mossad who will just up and slaughter developers and publishers in the night because they let it slip out that a half assed PS2 port was coming to the Wii ::)
🍆🍆

etiolate

« Reply #18344 on: April 04, 2012, 12:41:59 AM »
You guys talk about Nintendo more than actual Ntards. smh

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:01:29 AM by etiolate »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #18345 on: April 04, 2012, 12:44:10 AM »
i'm a cheap games fanboy
sup

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #18346 on: April 04, 2012, 12:44:59 AM »
I'm a Musou fanboy.  I even stomached the shit awful Strikeforce.
🍆🍆

« Reply #18347 on: April 04, 2012, 12:52:50 AM »
I'm a Musou fanboy.  I even stomached the shit awful Strikeforce.

I'm a Gundam game fanboy. I stomach all the shit (I'm well aware they're shit games) and pay outrageous import prices.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:59:03 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #18348 on: April 04, 2012, 12:57:40 AM »
i guess the closest i would come to being a fanboy is bethesda games, but i will still give them shit when it is warranted, like the way  their black characters used to all look like they had vitiligo
sup

archie4208

« Reply #18349 on: April 04, 2012, 01:05:20 AM »
Valve fanboy here.

Cheap games :bow2

Mostly pro consumer DRM :bow2

:bow VIRTUAL HATS :bow2

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #18350 on: April 04, 2012, 01:06:06 AM »
I have all the qualities of a fanboy, but I don't have an object worthy of fandom, not anymore at least. Everything sacred to me has been desecrated this gen.

I mean I can't even say with a straight face I was at one point a fan of SE, Konami, JRPGs, SRPGs, FF, MGS, and Sony's platforms. Mostly because they're embarrassing and I don't care about any of them anymore.

I tried replacing them with Steam and awesome western PC games, but it never caught on. The only game series that touched me in all the right places, and I admit of having a big and unreasonable craze for is the Soul series, but I'm not sure how long that's gonna last.
Unzip

DJ_Tet

« Reply #18351 on: April 04, 2012, 01:06:51 AM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469013

Gaf user wins 'open bar' but doesn't have friends to share it with that aren't on gaf.

Maybe Tyler will fly in for half-price drinks?
TIT

Tasty

« Reply #18352 on: April 04, 2012, 01:13:28 AM »
i'm a cheap games fanboy

I enjoy Pokemon. Good series.

« Reply #18353 on: April 04, 2012, 01:37:03 AM »
I'm also a turn-based console JRPG fanboy.

:(
野球

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18354 on: April 04, 2012, 01:46:06 AM »
I'm also a turn-based console JRPG fanboy.

:(
Ehh, me too. I've just timewarped back to PSX stuff I missed this gen.

Oblivion

« Reply #18355 on: April 04, 2012, 03:22:10 AM »
the hilarious thing is i'm trying to run the exact "defense" for the Wii U that Nintendo fans are going to have to run -very- *very* soon when the specs drop, yet i'm getting "Why do you hate Nintendo?"

Thought you were aware I was joking with that line, SIR! :punch

Oblivion

« Reply #18356 on: April 04, 2012, 03:49:27 AM »
I have a certain sense of attachment to Nintendo, but my case is a little different from the average n-thing. If we were to measure one's N-tardness by a game to game basis, quite possibly every person here on EB would beat me handily, including some of the most hardcore Nintendophobes. I actually don't care for 99% of Nintendo's library, but think the mainline Mario platformers, Zeldas and (well up to Brawl anyway) SSBs are pretty fucking awesome. But I never blindly supported them. I was severely disappointed when we first got word of the Wii's specs back in Dec. 2005, and remain so to this day, and I'd never argue that the Wii's library remotely matches up to the PS360. Furthermore I was disappointed when good third party games like Monster Hunter came to the Wii since they'd be held back by its tech.

I was pretty ecstatic when we heard rumors last summer about the Wii-U beingn 5X more powerful than the 360, but felt that it was too good to be true. It would suck if Nintendo went two generations with a console that was weaker than one from the previous generation, and I don't have any interest in defending such a decision.

But yeah, so for Nintendo, it's just Mario, Zelda, and SSB (hopefully the next one's good again), and MS/Sony for everything else.

:bow me :bow2

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #18357 on: April 04, 2012, 03:59:12 AM »
i can't think of any particular companies off-hand that i have a strong affiliation with

You're the most unbiased person I know of.
itm

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #18358 on: April 04, 2012, 07:52:56 AM »
Since someone asked

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36627947&postcount=22

I wouldn't even call the DS and 3DS behind, rather, Sony being insanely ahead (and not exactly doing the best for it).

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18359 on: April 04, 2012, 08:51:47 AM »
I probably have had more fun with the Wii than most Boreans... Kororinpa, the Galaxy games, NSMB Wii, DKC Returns, Twilight Princess, Brawl, Cubello (WiiWare), and the almighty :bow SIN AND PUNISHMENT 2 :bow2 were awesome. Still have to play Opoona, and Arc Rise Fantasia, and can't wait for Xenoblade this Friday.
^_^