Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE  (Read 2387681 times)

agrajag

Re: US Politics Thread |OT| THE DARKEST TIMELINE
« Reply #22560 on: November 09, 2016, 01:31:59 AM »
Bruh...

Byron Tau ‏@ByronTau 
Trump did better than Romney among blacks by 5 points. He did 2 points better among Latinos.

That is kinda nuts considering his rhetoric.

People really, really hate Hillary.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #22561 on: November 09, 2016, 01:32:48 AM »
It's been fun talking to ya guys about politics over the years but that's it, I'm out. Why give a shit about politics when it clearly doesn't give a fuck about me?

Oh yeah, my visa got approved. So yay I guess.

I'm probably counting my chickens before they hatch, but I'm sure you'll be fine even in Montana. From what I've seen of you, you aren't one of those "damn towelheads" that the Hillbillies love to bash on.

Syph

« Reply #22562 on: November 09, 2016, 01:33:28 AM »
You can call Hillary trash and make up Biden fantasies. But like I said, ultimately her voters came out. Hispanic turnout was up. Black turnout was solid. This election was clearly not about those voters - or at least not, them personally. It was moreso about white people essentially deciding to drive the plane into the fucking mountain. Because "economic anxiety" despite the fact they're doing better than most of the minorities who voted for Clinton.

I didn't think the math added up to get Trump into the WH. But I simply didn't expect white women, even suburban white women, to turn out for Trump like this. Based on the polls it looked like he was fucked specifically because suburban women were going to go for Clinton.

Here we are. And now those "both sides are the same" people (who I wouldn't blame for this loss btw) get to see how wrong that shit is when Trump unveils his Supreme Court picks, how Department of Justice, his (executive order) deportation agenda, etc. Good luck.
I don't mean this in a gloating way at all, but those shy/quiet voters breh, I told you. Of course, no one could've predicted this scale, but yea, voter turnout really was everything this election. Trump moved the needle with black voters a bit, but we knew it would ultimately be a numbers game.

Also do we have numbers on black turnout though? When you say solid do you mean same? I just can't imagine it being Obama-levels; there must've been a decrease no?
XO

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22563 on: November 09, 2016, 01:34:04 AM »
Not fair to compared final 2012 numbers to what we have right now. Cali is at like 30%, let's wait and see what Hispanic turnout looks like after more shit is counted.

bluemax

« Reply #22564 on: November 09, 2016, 01:34:41 AM »
You can call Hillary trash and make up Biden fantasies. But like I said, ultimately her voters came out. Hispanic turnout was up. Black turnout was solid. This election was clearly not about those voters - or at least not, them personally. It was moreso about white people essentially deciding to drive the plane into the fucking mountain. Because "economic anxiety" despite the fact they're doing better than most of the minorities who voted for Clinton.

I didn't think the math added up to get Trump into the WH. But I simply didn't expect white women, even suburban white women, to turn out for Trump like this. Based on the polls it looked like he was fucked specifically because suburban women were going to go for Clinton.

Here we are. And now those "both sides are the same" people (who I wouldn't blame for this loss btw) get to see how wrong that shit is when Trump unveils his Supreme Court picks, how Department of Justice, his (executive order) deportation agenda, etc. Good luck.

It feels like white women for trump was a big decider that no one accounted for. Once CNN or whoever started talking about how college educated white women in Florida went Trump I knew shit was gonna get scary.
NO

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #22565 on: November 09, 2016, 01:34:43 AM »
CBS saying Hillary spent $500 MILLION more than Trump?

Fucking Democrats
:O

agrajag

« Reply #22566 on: November 09, 2016, 01:35:11 AM »
Poll-based election prediction models are out the window..

Boredfrom

« Reply #22567 on: November 09, 2016, 01:35:34 AM »
It's been fun talking to ya guys about politics over the years but that's it, I'm out. Why give a shit about politics when it clearly doesn't give a fuck about me?

Oh yeah, my visa got approved. So yay I guess.

Congrats in both accounts.

Politics are shit so is nice you realize this.

But is good that you got your visa.

Syph

« Reply #22568 on: November 09, 2016, 01:35:37 AM »
PD I told my buddy that at least we might get a new YG tape now
His response:
"isn't there a C in Clinton?"
XO

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #22569 on: November 09, 2016, 01:36:13 AM »
Well this is just great. I don't like to get personal but I'm going to. I think I'm going a little GAF.

This Thursday I will have been married to my wife for 21 years. She and I have been through some rough times that I'm not willing to share, but tonight I can't look at her. I came into the bedroom and I left before I got upset. I went back in and desperately didn't want to jostle the bed to wake her up.  My wife was raped by two men when she was 18, and had her virginity taken from her. She nebver really dealt with it, and we're trying to explore options to help her to this day, 35 years later. It's hard. On both of us, on our marriage, on our daughter.

And tonight I don't want to tell her that the new President is Donald Trump, oil' take what you want, grab 'em by the pussy, Trump. Every time she moves I get a chill thinking I have to tell her.

I know, livejournal.

:( It's okay. She has you.

james

« Reply #22570 on: November 09, 2016, 01:36:14 AM »

Its 2016, who the fuck answers a phone call from an unknown caller?

Nola

« Reply #22571 on: November 09, 2016, 01:36:41 AM »
Well this is just great. I don't like to get personal but I'm going to. I think I'm going a little GAF.

This Thursday I will have been married to my wife for 21 years. She and I have been through some rough times that I'm not willing to share, but tonight I can't look at her. I came into the bedroom and I left before I got upset. I went back in and desperately didn't want to jostle the bed to wake her up.  My wife was raped by two men when she was 18, and had her virginity taken from her. She nebver really dealt with it, and we're trying to explore options to help her to this day, 35 years later. It's hard. On both of us, on our marriage, on our daughter.

And tonight I don't want to tell her that the new President is Donald Trump, oil' take what you want, grab 'em by the pussy, Trump. Every time she moves I get a chill thinking I have to tell her.

I know, livejournal.

Fuck that dude, I feel for you. This isn't one of those faux "pay attention to me" posts GAF does.

zepblackstar

« Reply #22572 on: November 09, 2016, 01:37:04 AM »
Official: Harambe gets nearly 15,000 write-in votes for presidency of the United States:

FFS

agrajag

« Reply #22573 on: November 09, 2016, 01:37:44 AM »

Its 2016, who the fuck answers a phone call from an unknown caller?

My parents and a few older family members are the only ones I know that even have landlines.

Nola

« Reply #22574 on: November 09, 2016, 01:41:54 AM »
Obama's "legacy" is erased. It's over. Nothing will remain.

I've been thinking about it. We're literally going to be putting hope in Ryan...Rubio...McCain...etc standing up to some of Trump's worse flourishes yet the president has enough power to overrule them. Supreme Court, gone. Obamacare, gone. But maybe they hold off on his immigration agenda.

But you can kiss criminal justice reform goodbye. Good luck protesting police brutality under a Trump Department Of Justice. It's over.

The problem is Obama has overseen the basic gutting of the Dem party. They purged out the moderates and now is a labour version of the big city liberal party. They have lost all branches of the government and now will control the supreme court for decades. In the end, everything he has done has been for nothing.

It's over. All that talk of Obama being the most consequential president since x...done. Foot note status. I don't think he's to blame for the party's decline, it was clearly a racial reaction that destroyed democrats in red states and rural areas.

Ultimately republicans won. The obstruction and nonstop brinksmanship worked. They lost hard in 2012 but ultimately win in the end, because they get to hit the erase button on everything.

I know it seems bleak now, but Republicans have not exactly positioned themselves well to be more then a 2 year thin majority in the legislator and a 1 term president.

If they had a bunch of well regarded policies they could spit out that would really ingratiate the public over the next 2 years, sure, but their aimless obstructionism and pandering to the rich is setting themselves up for a pretty hard fall.

Worked great for Kerry.

Well if Trump gets his own 9/11 moment, even an Obama would struggle taking the presidency from Trump.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #22575 on: November 09, 2016, 01:44:04 AM »
Thanks everyone, it means a lot that you all read that.
rub

thisismyusername

« Reply #22576 on: November 09, 2016, 01:45:27 AM »
Not fair to compared final 2012 numbers to what we have right now. Cali is at like 30%, let's wait and see what Hispanic turnout looks like after more shit is counted.

Yeah, I'm really curious what the Latino turnout was given how much Trump antagonized them. Early votings were them turning out but welp... guess certain segments waited until today.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #22577 on: November 09, 2016, 01:47:01 AM »

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #22578 on: November 09, 2016, 01:48:54 AM »

Syph

XO

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #22580 on: November 09, 2016, 01:50:27 AM »
Please someone make that trump head and the fist pumping guy an emote :lol

james

« Reply #22581 on: November 09, 2016, 01:51:50 AM »
Whats problematic is that Trump supporters came out to vote against right wing policy.

Everything they hate - global free trade, corporate speech, union destroying.... thats all created by Republicans.

And then the Republicans turn around and reap the rewards of their failed policies

Because Hillary "its my turn" Clinton and the idiots at the DNC are so far up their asses that they can spend $1 billion and get zero return.

james

« Reply #22582 on: November 09, 2016, 01:53:26 AM »
Best case scenario: Republican policies crash the global economy (again), and they lose the house and senate in 2018. Dems play the obstruction card and they get zero supreme court seats or judges.

Nola

« Reply #22583 on: November 09, 2016, 01:53:37 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Pence can't believe he is about to be president....Trump looking like he wishes he had just taken that Obama correspondents roast in stride.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #22584 on: November 09, 2016, 01:54:24 AM »
"Fist pumping guy" is in the first family in a few months, Momo, have some respect. Also plz emote the blonde lady giving him side eye

james

« Reply #22585 on: November 09, 2016, 01:54:26 AM »
NYT calls PA for Trump.

264 points. Plus Alaska = 269

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #22586 on: November 09, 2016, 01:54:59 AM »
What's the largest margin that somebody won the popular vote by but lost the election? I'm wondering if we're headed to a new record.
Only four times has the primary loser "won" the popular vote.

2000 - Gore: 0.51%
1888 - Harrison: 0.83%
1876 - Hayes: 3.00%
1824 - Q. Adams: 10.44%

Of course, 1824 was a four way race, and Jackson got 41% of the popular vote. And 1876 was stolen but I don't know how the stolen states map to the popular vote without looking into it. So I'd go with the 1888 figure?

But isn't that likely what's going to happen here once California gets counted?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #22587 on: November 09, 2016, 01:55:53 AM »
Best case scenario: Republican policies crash the global economy (again), and they lose the house and senate in 2018. Dems play the obstruction card and they get zero supreme court seats or judges.
He won, it's clear this is what people want or deserve.

Obstruction, sure. But republicans have every right to shitcan the filibuster.

El Babua

« Reply #22588 on: November 09, 2016, 01:56:21 AM »
If Hillary wins the popular vote, it's gonna fan the flames of polarization in this country that much further.

As long as Dems suck at playing politics, I don't think they can take advantage of it the way Reps have.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #22589 on: November 09, 2016, 01:56:48 AM »
Thanks everyone, it means a lot that you all read that.

No, thank you for sharing with us.

james

« Reply #22590 on: November 09, 2016, 01:57:28 AM »
If Hillary wins the popular vote, it's gonna fan the flames of polarization in this country that much further.

As long as Dems suck at playing politics, I don't think they can take advantage of it the way Reps have.

She will win it.

Thats why we need a rebellion

Bebpo

« Reply #22591 on: November 09, 2016, 01:59:13 AM »
To be fair, part of that was DNC had no one else to run.  Maybe Sanders could've done better, maybe minorities would've stayed at home for another old white guy and Trump would still win the rural white vote + racist vote and we'd be in the same place.  DNC needed a candidate that inspired young voters and minority voters + their base (and maybe republicans didn't hate so much but good luck with that) and they didn't have it.  They needed Obama 2.0 which was Hillary in policy but not in charisma (also not being a minority, although she is a woman which is a minority in politics).  Can they find someone like that in 4 years?  Who knows.  Hope they can though!

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #22592 on: November 09, 2016, 02:02:58 AM »
John Podesta speaking: http://video.foxnews.com/v/5199651171001/?#sp=watch-live

Nothing more will be said tonight, it's too close to call.

Nola

« Reply #22593 on: November 09, 2016, 02:03:45 AM »

She will win it.

Thats why we need a rebellion

I mean the Trumpkins did warn us the polls were rigged   

thisismyusername

« Reply #22594 on: November 09, 2016, 02:03:49 AM »
I dunno, I feel like Sanders (and I know I've been mocked for my support of him/his ideas of policies before) would've done slightly better. He had the white people with common sense on lock. The major problem was those people pushing blacks and other PoC away.

I feel like a Trump/Sanders showdown would've been better for the democrats because during the primaries there was a resounding "fuck the establishment" from both sides. Which begs the question why did they think Hillary was their best chance with that drumbeat? :doge

I don't know if I'd say he'd have won, but I feel in that alternate timeline there would've been less animosity toward the Dems (after the "rigging" of the primaries) from those folks to have them go "fuck you" toward the party.

Syph

« Reply #22595 on: November 09, 2016, 02:04:20 AM »
he told them to go home
XO

Syph

« Reply #22596 on: November 09, 2016, 02:05:10 AM »
wait is he correct? should i go to sleep or stay awake a couple more hours?

edit: nevermind, clinton is a sore loser, SAD!
XO

zepblackstar

« Reply #22597 on: November 09, 2016, 02:06:18 AM »
he is full of shit
She has lost and just giving false hope

I mean there is a chance but getting hit by lighting is a bigger chance.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #22598 on: November 09, 2016, 02:08:15 AM »
Stuff keeps hitting me, thoughts about what's now lost. Iran deal is fucked now. Guessing republicans will start by rescinding our ends of the deal, causing a reaction from Iran and then blame them.

Syph

« Reply #22599 on: November 09, 2016, 02:11:49 AM »
Republicans just won the senate
XO

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #22600 on: November 09, 2016, 02:13:45 AM »
Oh my god... I just realized...

My Thanksgiving this year is going to be hell...

Nola

« Reply #22601 on: November 09, 2016, 02:13:47 AM »
To be fair, part of that was DNC had no one else to run.  Maybe Sanders could've done better, maybe minorities would've stayed at home for another old white guy and Trump would still win the rural white vote + racist vote and we'd be in the same place.  DNC needed a candidate that inspired young voters and minority voters + their base (and maybe republicans didn't hate so much but good luck with that) and they didn't have it.  They needed Obama 2.0 which was Hillary in policy but not in charisma (also not being a minority, although she is a woman which is a minority in politics).  Can they find someone like that in 4 years?  Who knows.  Hope they can though!

I think in hindsight Sanders could of easily been that candidate.

His platform had/has a very strong blue collar union draw. He energizes the youth and the base and he had none of the character flaws that anchored Trump and Clinton.

I was one of the "Bernie is not capable of winning a general election" people but I think this night is proving my argument dead wrong.

Syph

« Reply #22602 on: November 09, 2016, 02:14:39 AM »
Oh my god... I just realized...

My Thanksgiving this year is going to be hell...
breh i got invited to my new girls thanksgiving
shes blue
her parents are diehard blue
she told me her dad was gonna bug me about conservative policies
that was then
this is now
buckle the fuck up
XO

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #22603 on: November 09, 2016, 02:16:38 AM »
why worry? you won, tell him to suck it up

imply you will report him to trumps thought police otherwise

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22604 on: November 09, 2016, 02:16:53 AM »
Elizabeth Warren better run in 2020

james

« Reply #22605 on: November 09, 2016, 02:17:20 AM »

I was one of the "Bernie is not capable of winning a general election" people but I think this night is proving my argument dead wrong.

The same people who were blindsided by Bernie winning Michigan were those calling shots to "run up the tables" in Georgia and Texas, all while mocking Trump for campaigning in Pennsylvania and Michigan.

Out of touch idiots.

Idiots who get to fly to the Bahamas and chill for 4 years

Bebpo

« Reply #22606 on: November 09, 2016, 02:27:51 AM »

I think in hindsight Sanders could of easily been that candidate.

His platform had/has a very strong blue collar union draw. He energizes the youth and the base and he had none of the character flaws that anchored Trump and Clinton.

In retrospect I think Bernie being pro-gun could've swung the election.  Fuck, as much as I hate typing this out, I think dems need to go pro-gun for the time being.  There's too many single issue voters that gun rights control.  We're not ready for a gun control nation as Sandy Hook should've shown us :(

El Babua

« Reply #22607 on: November 09, 2016, 02:29:47 AM »
Ironically Trump is the most pro gun control republican with the whole watch list thing. The only few policy proposal he mentioned.

Syph

« Reply #22608 on: November 09, 2016, 02:31:57 AM »
So Dem-boreans, Cory Booker 2020?
XO

Bebpo

« Reply #22609 on: November 09, 2016, 02:32:03 AM »
In general though I didn't care for Bernie personally because like Trump I felt he just said stuff people wanted to hear and didn't actually have plans on how to do any of it.  I wanted someone who could get stuff done in a smart efficient pipeline way and progress America left. 

Now I get to see someone get stuff done because he has zero opposition anywhere!  :(

El Babua

« Reply #22610 on: November 09, 2016, 02:33:19 AM »
Also reading about low turnout. Lowest since 2000 in fact holy shit.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22611 on: November 09, 2016, 02:33:48 AM »
AP called it for Trump.

America :piss2

Yulwei

« Reply #22612 on: November 09, 2016, 02:35:59 AM »
Call me paranoid but I'm strapping up for my self defense. My black ass isn't getting got :larry

Syph

« Reply #22613 on: November 09, 2016, 02:36:06 AM »
Also reading about low turnout. Lowest since 2000 in fact holy shit.
what????
XO

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #22614 on: November 09, 2016, 02:37:21 AM »
loooooooooooooool

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22615 on: November 09, 2016, 02:37:54 AM »