Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 4181034 times)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #19860 on: June 10, 2019, 10:22:50 AM »
speaking of GRRM using Windows XP, I learned that the dude still uses WordStar 4.0 or something, which is on DOS :lol

WordStar was the program of choice for conservative intellectual William F. Buckley, Jr.,[29] who used the software to write many works, including his last book. This was noted by his son, Christopher Buckley, who wrote of the almost comical loyalty and affection his father had shown for WordStar, which he had installed into every new computer he purchased despite the technical difficulty of such an endeavor as the program became increasingly outdated and incompatible with newer computers. He said of WordStar, "I'm told there are better programs, but I'm also told there are better alphabets."[29]

Ralph Ellison also used WordStar.[30]

Canadian science fiction author Robert J. Sawyer continues to use WordStar for DOS 7.0 (the final release) to write his novels.[31][32]

A Song of Ice and Fire author George R. R. Martin still uses the MS-DOS version of WordStar 4.0.[33]

Andy Breckman, the creator of Monk, is a devout WordStar user[34].

Vampire fiction writer Anne Rice was another faithful user of WordStar who struggled to have it installed on newer computers until it could no longer reasonably be done. She then grudgingly transitioned to Microsoft Word, whose design she felt was comparatively unintuitive and illogical: "WordStar was magnificent. I loved it. It was logical, beautiful, perfect," adding, "Compared to it, MS Word which I use today is pure madness."[35]

He also types with one finger. It sounds like an absolute nightmare and it makes sense that he takes forever.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19861 on: June 10, 2019, 10:23:29 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-does-the-gaming-industry-gaming-journalistic-industry-still-give-attention-to-boogie-and-the-likes.122141/
So watching E3 yesterday, Boogie appeared two times at Geoffs Youtube E3 show (again) playing Crash Racing.
Then later with Kotakus Stephen Totilo have another small chat.

People are asking why gamers get more radicalized.

We have people like "ching chang chong" Dr Disrespect getting trending gamer awards. "Took out of context Notch"" podcast hosts. "Both Sides Boogie" appearing over and over again at such events, giving them outreach.

Why is no one calling them out on that? It seems instead of calling those people out, the "industry" even wants to hang with them and give them a plattform.

Locked! But not for the reason you think (we don't provide a platform, etc.) but because of SPECIAL E3 RULES:
This thread is closed due to our blanket E3 rules:

No reaction threads – To prevent clutter we will lock all reaction threads during E3. A reaction thread is a topic about a hot take or some other personal reaction to anything that did or did not happen during E3. Examples include "Why wasn't the Switch 2 announced?", "Did Ubisoft just win E3?" and "I can't believe the leaks were real". These sort of topics can be discussed in news threads and conference threads.
This can be discussed in the stream thread for now. However, this specific discussion is interesting, please feel free to remake it next week. Thanks.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19862 on: June 10, 2019, 10:24:51 AM »
User warned: Off-topic inappropriate commentary.
Wow! Hottie!!
User Warned: Off-topic inappropriate commentary.
Wow Sarah Bond is gorgeous.
Sarah Bond is beautiful
she was cute
i hope sabrina is okay

"NOT PURITANICAL THOUGH!"

PogiJones

« Reply #19863 on: June 10, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »
Wow! Hottie!!
Wow Sarah Bond is gorgeous.
Sarah Bond is beautiful
she was cute
i hope sabrina is okay

Now go see how many people were warned for swooning over Keanu

benjipwns

« Reply #19864 on: June 10, 2019, 10:29:36 AM »
It is copyright infringement. Everything someone makes is protected by copyright. If you talk about Game of Thrones, you're talking about someone's copyrighted work. That's copyright infringement. Unless it's fair use. This is very simple, and why I am asking you to simply google what copyright infringement actually is. You believe it is making derivative works, but that's a small part of what it is. I figured DMCA strikes would be a helpful clue to you, but you seem to only be out to making arguments for yourself and completely disregarding everything I'm saying. There's little I can do when someone's factually wrong and refuses to be corrected, so have a nice day.
:rofl

Jansen

« Reply #19865 on: June 10, 2019, 10:31:04 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #19866 on: June 10, 2019, 10:31:15 AM »
The industry has too big a problem with this, good on Nintendo taking action. Nothing worse than an incomplete leak screwing the real announcement with all info.

A leak years in advance with some general bullet points is fine, but just days ahead of a reveal is so awful.
this thread man

Propagandhim

benjipwns

« Reply #19868 on: June 10, 2019, 10:33:19 AM »
Imagine your gaming devices broke, and for the foreseeable future you were unable to play any game at all. What would you see yourself doing on day to day basis in such a scenario?
I guess draw but I feel like I would still be shit at that. I'm shit at it and would only end up beating myself up over being shit at that too. Plus, I think being a great fighting game player is far more impressive than ever being a good illustrator.
newsfeed

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #19870 on: June 10, 2019, 10:48:11 AM »
Why should we limit our speech just to make sure that an ad for a product can be as effective that it can be?
I honestly don't understand why that should be something that I should care about on any level, I really don't.
It's call human emphasis. Something severely lacking around here, which comes off as funny given all the 'think of the developers' posts on this site. But I guess all that is just propaganda to stick it to 'cooperations' since stuff like leaks that developers say hurt gets a 'who gives a damn' reaction around here.

BisMarckie

« Reply #19871 on: June 10, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »
As a Ryckertarian,I feel attacked.

benjipwns

« Reply #19872 on: June 10, 2019, 10:52:13 AM »
a right-ryckertarian or a left-ryckertarian?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19873 on: June 10, 2019, 10:53:19 AM »
pls do not post spoilers for the nintendo direct, i don't want to know which 40-y/o ip is being humped before miyamoto tells me
©@©™

BisMarckie

« Reply #19874 on: June 10, 2019, 10:54:16 AM »
Trick question, due to the centrist nature of Ryckertarianism, there is no such thing. :smug

PogiJones

« Reply #19875 on: June 10, 2019, 10:54:55 AM »
Why should we limit our speech just to make sure that an ad for a product can be as effective that it can be?
I honestly don't understand why that should be something that I should care about on any level, I really don't.
It's call human emphasis. Something severely lacking around here, which comes off as funny given all the 'think of the developers' posts on this site. But I guess all that is just propaganda to stick it to 'cooperations' since stuff like leaks that developers say hurt gets a 'who gives a damn' reaction around here.

Please won't you guys just learn some emphasis

Propagandhim

« Reply #19876 on: June 10, 2019, 10:55:06 AM »

https://twitter.com/IntelDankWeb/status/1127294606998155265

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #19877 on: June 10, 2019, 10:55:44 AM »
The Food thread is really interesting "drinking water and eating veggies." fucking liars.

Jansen

« Reply #19878 on: June 10, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »
Imagine your gaming devices broke, and for the foreseeable future you were unable to play any game at all. What would you see yourself doing on day to day basis in such a scenario?
I guess draw but I feel like I would still be shit at that. I'm shit at it and would only end up beating myself up over being shit at that too. Plus, I think being a great fighting game player is far more impressive than ever being a good illustrator.
newsfeed

:mods

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19879 on: June 10, 2019, 10:56:09 AM »
pls do not post spoilers for the nintendo direct, i don't want to know which 40-y/o ip is being humped before miyamoto tells me

animal crossing is only 18 years old  :hmph

spoiler (click to show/hide)
it's about the right age for nintendo to start fucking it
[close]
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #19880 on: June 10, 2019, 11:03:27 AM »
So the developer of Mario and Rabbid who worked on a passion project under his hero and put himself in the hospital because of stress to make the best game possible doesn't deserve any empathy when his hard work was dumped on the internet and then torn apart by people because people throughs the premise was stupid and the game shouldn't even exist? Not because they even played the game and judged it to be bad, just the premise alone? It just hurt the 'marketing gimmick' and their 'feelings'.

Good lord.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19881 on: June 10, 2019, 11:04:56 AM »
ὕβρις

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #19882 on: June 10, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »
They're mad at cyberpunk again  :lol

I still don't get the point of throwing in "cock sucker". It's homophobic and misyognstic and I really don't want to hear casual unnecessary slurs like that when I'm trying to enjoy a game (or game trailer).
Especially in a game that's set so far in the future where you could reasonably assume that people might have come up with some new (possibly less homophobic) insults.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-fact-that-the-cp2077-e3-trailer-had-beep-sounds-for-bad-words-yet-it-depicted-extreme-graphic-violence-is-really-stupid.122157/post-21673350

benjipwns

« Reply #19883 on: June 10, 2019, 11:07:13 AM »
Can you please help me with what you want clarified, before we stray too far? I'm happy to try and clarify. Talking about something that a source has told you is copyright infringement, yes. There's no difference is speech and text in the eyes of the law, so I don't really know how to demonstrate that negative. Nowhere does it say in copyright law that it must be written, as opposed to anything else. The distinction is there in other parts of law, like libel and slander, but not in copyright law. Breaking copyright is using other people's copyrighted work. Fair use can save you, so if you leak something and it's not a big part that's being leaked – and let me restate that I believe the name of a game is a big part of the copyrighted work when it comes to announcement – you may have a fair use case. If it's transformative, as in providing commentary or otherwise. If the leak doesn't affect the market of the copyrighted work (see Mario vs Rabbids for an example of this). And finally the nature of the copyrighted work. Is it published? Is it fictional? If it's unpublished and fictional, like with these games, then the bar is higher for fair use.

This was posted a while back. I believe the example used with Mario vs Rabbids, since the right to first publish was hindered, the public had a field day with the game before it was allowed to be set in context, and the game is argued to have performed worse due to a leak.
:dead

benjipwns

« Reply #19884 on: June 10, 2019, 11:08:40 AM »
Good, leakers are loosers who kill the fun for 4 seconds of fame and they should be reprimanded for their behavior.

Next Nintendo should really consider black listing these reputed gaming sights that keep confirming unsubstantiated rumors
:salute we are at war, play it tactical

BisMarckie

« Reply #19885 on: June 10, 2019, 11:09:25 AM »
Benji dunking on a guy without knowing whether this might be actually true in banana republics like Kazakhstan or Canada. :pacspit

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19886 on: June 10, 2019, 11:14:32 AM »
Can you please help me with what you want clarified, before we stray too far? I'm happy to try and clarify. Talking about something that a source has told you is copyright infringement, yes. There's no difference is speech and text in the eyes of the law, so I don't really know how to demonstrate that negative. Nowhere does it say in copyright law that it must be written, as opposed to anything else. The distinction is there in other parts of law, like libel and slander, but not in copyright law. Breaking copyright is using other people's copyrighted work. Fair use can save you, so if you leak something and it's not a big part that's being leaked – and let me restate that I believe the name of a game is a big part of the copyrighted work when it comes to announcement – you may have a fair use case. If it's transformative, as in providing commentary or otherwise. If the leak doesn't affect the market of the copyrighted work (see Mario vs Rabbids for an example of this). And finally the nature of the copyrighted work. Is it published? Is it fictional? If it's unpublished and fictional, like with these games, then the bar is higher for fair use.

This was posted a while back. I believe the example used with Mario vs Rabbids, since the right to first publish was hindered, the public had a field day with the game before it was allowed to be set in context, and the game is argued to have performed worse due to a leak.
:dead

Hindering the Right to First Publish by revealing the title of a game is in the 13th or 14th amendment, iirc. One of the lesser known ones.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #19887 on: June 10, 2019, 11:16:33 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/goto/post?id=21660530

Evil Within 2 for me was really generic, you could really feel it was directed by a white guy. Well each to their own.

Propagandhim

« Reply #19888 on: June 10, 2019, 11:18:30 AM »

Evil Within 2 for me was really generic, you could really feel it was directed by a white guy. Well each to their own.

Now that's an inflammatory generalization I can get behind

jorma

« Reply #19889 on: June 10, 2019, 11:19:03 AM »
Benji dunking on a guy without knowing whether this might be actually true in banana republics like Kazakhstan or Canada. :pacspit

do you think he cares? his username infringes on the name of a well known (and copyrighted!) movie about an adorable dog, and it's like he doesn't even give a shit

BisMarckie

« Reply #19890 on: June 10, 2019, 11:19:23 AM »
You can really feel that these posts here are made by white guys.

benjipwns

« Reply #19891 on: June 10, 2019, 11:20:08 AM »

from the next page:
Is Nakamura the first female game director?

Tasty

« Reply #19892 on: June 10, 2019, 11:20:58 AM »

from the next page:

I just saw that. :lol :lol

This is why I don't read RE 95% of the year...

Tasty

« Reply #19893 on: June 10, 2019, 11:21:16 AM »
You can really feel that these posts here are made by white guys.

They really make you *feel* like Batman (a white guy)

jorma

« Reply #19894 on: June 10, 2019, 11:22:40 AM »

i'm honestly quite surprised that claiming "each to their own" isn't actionable on ree, that sounds like pure distilled centrism

benjipwns

« Reply #19895 on: June 10, 2019, 11:23:58 AM »
so much hostility happening in the leak thread:
You're an idiot.
We've got an asshole here, people.
Are you being dense on purpose?

mods! swarm! swarm!

Tasty

« Reply #19896 on: June 10, 2019, 11:24:39 AM »
What does it say when the leak thread is more inflamed and active than the threads for the actual games being leaked

benjipwns

« Reply #19897 on: June 10, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »
Some of you are desperately tring to make it sound like someone dropped the executable on a torrent and that this wasn't just someone posting the title of a video game on twitter before it was announced.

How ruined would Endgame have been if you knew the subtitle a week early
Some of these leaks are more significant than the subtitle to a movie which we already knew the plot of. You're throwing context out of the window here.
wow! copyright infringement!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19898 on: June 10, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »
Financial damage IS damage.

Literally.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #19899 on: June 10, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »
Amy Hennig.
:lol I hope this is just an example of one before.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #19900 on: June 10, 2019, 11:30:43 AM »
the difference between Reset and GAF, GAF would love and adore the leakers and be like holyyy shittt gaf > internet >gaf

But reset they're like NOOOO PLS DON'T SPOIL I won't have anything to do all week if I already know what's coming.

benjipwns

« Reply #19901 on: June 10, 2019, 11:31:55 AM »
would ResetERA.com have doxxed CBOAT?

Ghoul

« Reply #19902 on: June 10, 2019, 11:32:23 AM »
absolutely. would have.

Ghoul

« Reply #19903 on: June 10, 2019, 11:33:44 AM »
new rule on reset

PLEAE ONLY POST ON RELEASED GAMES OR GET DOXXED.

:stahp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19904 on: June 10, 2019, 11:37:38 AM »
BUT GUYS IMAGINE THE JOBS LOST !
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19905 on: June 10, 2019, 11:39:55 AM »
Jesus, this is like arguing with Trump supporters.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #19906 on: June 10, 2019, 11:40:00 AM »
Except for the people who you know, lost their job and a ton a money because one person wanted to stick it to the man but instead hurt all their co-workers. But who gives a damn about that, the game concept lives on somewhere so gamers are happy. And that's what really matters.

Nice missing the entire point about respecting the people who make those commercial and not finding it cool that someone leaked all their information for their 15 minutes of fame. They can just go fuck off, apparently because it's just a commercial.
A commercial made by developers to sell the product we spent years making to be able to make more games for you guys out of a passion for this industry.
(just ignore the jobs lost, the change of studio and all those hours of work lost, who cares of that insignificant collateral damage? is nonexistent!)

please, be at least a little serious about this, we are trying to debate something that has consecuences, although they could be dismisive for you... many families wont feel the same
Proof will always be in the pudding, I can't imagine Dragon AI Modeller #3 being mad because a game announcement leaked early
I promise you they probably are.
What is with this thread and the dehumanization of the marketing department? Do you really think the department is run by robots?
okay, but what if they do an AMA on 8chan, or invite Boogie1488 to E3, or are just endlessly transphobic GamerGators?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19907 on: June 10, 2019, 11:42:37 AM »
would ResetERA.com have doxxed CBOAT?

His alt-right code talking would have been sniffed out from his very first post.
©@©™

benjipwns

marrec

« Reply #19909 on: June 10, 2019, 11:46:10 AM »
https://twitter.com/erikaverkaaik/status/1138010633209696257

:lawd

"tired understanding of cyberpunk"  :lol

Transphobic because one time their Twitter account made a "did u assume my gender??" joke and then deleted it a short time later.

too be fair, y'all still call me transphobic because of that time I suggested trans people listen to the advice of medical professionals

Propagandhim

« Reply #19910 on: June 10, 2019, 11:47:05 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #19911 on: June 10, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »
too be fair, y'all still call me transphobic because of that time I suggested trans people listen to the advice of medical professionals
stop sealioning us, you know the real reason

benjipwns

« Reply #19912 on: June 10, 2019, 11:50:38 AM »
special E3 announcement:
HBO has canceled Vice News Tonight, putting an end to its seven-year relationship with Vice Media.

The architect of that show, news chief Josh Tyrangiel, will depart Vice this summer after nearly four years of, per a memo he sent to staff, “harrowing challenges and huge highs” with the company.

Amid the changes at Vice News, CEO Nancy Dubuc has tapped Jesse Angelo, the former chairman and CEO of the New York Post, for a newly created role overseeing news, television and digital at Vice. She announced the staffing changes in an email to Vice employees Monday morning. “Jesse is joining us to create expanded platform opportunities and franchises for all our great talent and the content we are making every day,” Dubuc wrote in the note, which a Vice spokeswoman shared with THR.

Ghoul

« Reply #19913 on: June 10, 2019, 11:54:44 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cyberpunk-2077-looks-amazing-but-i%E2%80%99m-conflicted-about-supporting-cd-projekt-red-with-the-doubt-they%E2%80%99ve-cast-around-their-social-stances.122170/#post-21675143

Not everyone at every company is gonna believe everything you believe. I'm not worried about the inner thoughts of the guy flipping my burger, nor those of people creating games that catch my interest and i wanna play. I'll be buying Cyberpunk for sure

I sort of want the person flipping my burgers to recognize basic human rights of minorities if you know what I mean tho.

marrec

« Reply #19914 on: June 10, 2019, 11:55:41 AM »
stop sealioning us, you know the real reason

benjipwns

« Reply #19915 on: June 10, 2019, 11:56:25 AM »
Seems like there are a lot of people who just are never gunna get it...A severe lack of empathy maybe? I dunno. But some people here are truly sad.

Let companies control their message. End of freaking story. Don't defend leaks/leakers.

benjipwns

« Reply #19916 on: June 10, 2019, 11:58:07 AM »
I'd assume the means by which she got the info was illegally obtained, either by breaking an NDA or hacking
:putin

benjipwns

« Reply #19917 on: June 10, 2019, 12:02:27 PM »
Nintendo can do whatever it wants with its own property. It’s not this person’s right or privilege to be leaking someone else’s work.
But how could Nintendo even force her to stop. Did sabi sign NDAs?
Copyright.
I thought theft of trade secrets is another way to prosecute?
Does this not fall under trade secrets or whatever?
okay i need to stop refreshing this thread i'm dyin

Crumb

• *cough*
« Reply #19918 on: June 10, 2019, 12:03:08 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/cyberpunk-2077-looks-amazing-but-i%E2%80%99m-conflicted-about-supporting-cd-projekt-red-with-the-doubt-they%E2%80%99ve-cast-around-their-social-stances.122170/

Quote from: Loudninja
Gaming isnt that important to ignore this stuff.
Ooooooooooo I knew this one was coming.

I lol'd at them choosing a generic white dude as the face of the game thats originally created by a black man and having said basic white dude go into a room and murk a bunch of black people .

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19919 on: June 10, 2019, 12:04:54 PM »
Benji stop infringing on those copyrighted posts, don't you have even a grain of empathy for the millions of moderator jobs you're hurting ?
ὕβρις