Author Topic: Spooky Halloween Horror Movie Watching Thread 2023 Edition  (Read 2106 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Spooky Halloween Horror Movie Watching Thread 2023 Edition
« on: October 02, 2023, 10:44:08 AM »
2022 Thread
2021 Thread
2020 Thread
2019 Thread
2018 Thread
2017 Thread
2016 Thread

#1. The Burning (1981)
Watched on: Blu-ray

Cropsey is a drunk and belligerent groundskeeper who enjoys harrassing teenagers at the summer camp where he works. The teens decide to get revenge on him with a prank that goes wrong and leaves him horribly burned and disfigured. Five years later, he's finally released from the hospital and decides to go on a murder spree at a summer camp because he hates kids. It sticks pretty close to the Friday the 13th formula, with various couples wandering off for sex and then getting slaughtered by Cropsey's signature pruning shears. There's some prime Tom Savini gore effects in this movie that lifts it above some of the other also-ran slashers of the same era. Also of interest are early appearances by Jason Alexander and Holly Hunter in minor roles.

It also features what feels like a high number of scenes (even for the era) of dudes being gross to women, in this movie that was written by *checks notes* Bob Weinstein.  :mike
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Spooky Halloween Horror Movie Watching Thread 2023 Edition
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 01:56:32 AM »

"You don't want my hand in marriage, you want it in a sandwich"  :lol

watched this shid tonight

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 01:21:32 PM »
#2. In the Mouth of Madness (1994)

Played some Alan Wake yesterday afternoon and it got me in the mood to watch this. It's one of my favorite John Carpenter movies. Great blend of humor and horror, great vibes, great performance by Sam Neill. Always a good time.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 11:18:29 AM »
#3. Suicide Club (2001)

Japan is gripped by a wave of suicides that the police are powerless to prevent or explain. The only connection between the victims is a strip of skin, removed from their back and stitched into a gruesome rope before their deaths, and possibly the growing popularity of the vapid pop group Dessert. A great feel-bad movie. The plot is inscrutable, there's no character development because there are barely any characters with any screen time. It's strictly a vibes movie and the vibes are terrible. 5/5
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 12:41:28 PM »
Here's my NO CAMP ALLOWED Halloween movie list-

Zombies:
Train to Busan/ParaNorman/28 Days Later

Vampires:
We Are the Night/30 Days of Night/Only Lovers Left Alive/Doctor Sleep

Aliens:
Alien, Aliens (duh), The Thing, Predator, Predators, Attack the Block, Super 8

Other:
Coraline, Kubo and the Two Strings

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 12:32:19 PM »
#4. The Nun II (2023)
Watched on: Prime Video

I'm a simple man. I see crumpling European cathedrals/monasteries/castles, I hit play. It may not have much substance, but it's got style.

#5. Smile (2022)
Watched on: UHD 4K

The atmosphere of this movie is suffocating. It grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go.

#6. Lifeforce (1985)

This is the ultimate B-movie. All the 50's & 60's Attack of the Whatever movies were all leading up to this ridiculous schlockterpiece, and it's glorious.

#7. The Phantom of the Opera (1989)

They really tried to sell this movie as Phantom of the Opera starring Freddy Krueger. And yeah, other than that, this movie doesn't have much going for it.

#8. Ghost Ship (2002)

Great opening scene. Rest of the movie is kinda shite tho, but it does look really nice. Can't believe they killed off the black guy for trying to get some white girl ghost poontang, and he didn't even get to hit.  :fbm
©@©™

NekoFever

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 12:41:57 PM »
Mine so far:

1. Ringu *
2. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
3. The People Under the Stairs
4. Demons *
5. Demons 2
6. Pearl
7. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
8. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
9. The Exorcist *
10. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood

* seen before, but watching in 4K for the first time.

Friday the 13th is a blind spot for me (I'd only seen the first one until a couple of weeks ago) so I'm going to watch all those. Appropriate since this October does indeed have a Friday the 13th.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 12:00:43 PM »
#9. Graveyard Shift (1990)
Watched on: HBO Max

Worth watching for Brad Dourif being totally unhinged as the rat exterminator. Kinda sucked that they never even showed mutant rat monster full-on, you only ever saw it's head or it's wings and claws. You can't make a monster movie and cheap out on the monster, what are you even doing?

#10. VHS 85 (2023)
Watched on: Shudder

The VHS series continues it's run of being solid, but not spectacular. I think this entry lacked any particular home run segment, although it was a consistent package overall. The wrap-around segment was directed by David Bruckner and was actually pretty good (usually the wrappers are just meh filler). Best short was probably the one that takes place during the Mexico City Earthquake of 1985, which didn't even have a horror element for the first 2/3rds of it, but was genuinely pretty terrifying. It has a TV cameraman a rescue crew trying to escape a collapsing building, squeezing past crushed bodies and crumbling walls, and honestly it probably would have been better if it hadn't shifted to something supernatural because that was pretty intense.

11. VHS (2012)
Watched on: Netflix

Went back and watched the first movie after watching 85. It was pretty rough, a lot less consistent than the more recent entries. Also it didn't have a unified aestethic. The shorts were clearly set in different time periods and some of the shorts clearly appeared to be shot on digital, but somehow the thieves in the wrap-around segment are watching them all on VHS. Doesn't make any damn sense, my immersion is shattered!

12. The Haunting of Hill House (2018)

I'd never actually gotten around to watching this, but damn it was pretty fantastic. The last few episodes, starting with the funeral episode especially hit hard. I'm probably gonna watch House of Usher soon.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 11:22:15 AM »
13. Hell House LLC (2015)

Pretty cool found-footage mockumentary movie about an "unknown malfunction" at a haunted house attraction that killed 15 people. Might watch the sequels.
©@©™

NekoFever

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 05:41:25 PM »
11. In the Mouth of Madness
12. Piranha (rewatch on 4K Blu-ray)
13. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
14. The Boogeyman
15. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
16. Jason X
17. Freddy vs Jason
18. The Strangers
19. Totally Killer
20. The Last Voyage of the Demeter
21. Speak No Evil

So I’ve finally seen all the Friday the 13th movies now. That is really not a great series, I must say. 1 and 6 are far and away the best. I enjoyed Freddy vs Jason more than I’d been led to expect, but it’s basically an Elm Street movie.

Speak No Evil, though. Christ. I was trying to come up with something clever about the social awkwardness being the most unbearable part but then that ending.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2023, 06:18:04 AM »

noes fan film

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2023, 10:55:57 AM »
14. Hell House LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel (2018)
15. Hell House LLC III: Lake of Fire (2019)

I liked the first movie, but the sequels were pretty bad. The second one was merely unambitious, the third one actually tried to do something but unfortunately what they tried to do was so goofy that it's impossible to take it seriously. I guess I'll give them some credit for actually trying something that dumb.

16. House of the Long Shadows (1983)
Watched on: Youtube

A fun gothic horror send-off in the style of old Hammer Horror, featuring Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, and Christopher Lee together. Desi Arnez Jr. bets his publisher $20,000 that he can write a book as good as Wuthering Heights in 24 hours, so his publisher sends him off to a rundown English manor to do some writing, but he keeps getting interrupted by strange characters showing up for vague and possibly nefarious purposes. In the end, they all turn out to be washed up actors and the whole thing was an elaborate prank by the publisher. It's silly, but seeing those old horror icons hamming it up together was a lot of fun.

17. The Wicker Man (1973)

It's too bad folk rock horror didn't catch on.

18. Scream 2 (1997)
19. Scream 3 (2000)

I've watched Scream at least 3 times, but I've never watched the sequels. Figured I'd throw them on this October. Eh, they're fun.

20. The Breach (2022)
Watched on: Prime Video

A particle physicist/evil warlock uses CERN technology and black magic to communicate with beings beyond our reality. Slash (yes that Slash) Presents: We Have "From Beyond" at home! It wasn't that bad!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 11:06:13 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2023, 04:35:24 AM »

feel like watching return to oz

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2023, 10:22:12 AM »
21. Scream 4 (2011)
22. Scream (2021)
23. Scream VI (2022)
Watched on: Blu-ray, 4K UHD, and Paramount+

Scream 4 was kinda meh, but I thought both of "re-quels" were good. Bringing back Skeet Ulrich as Sam's Phantom Billy gives it a bit of a Halloween 4-6 Trilogy "Curse of Thorn" vibe. I liked them bring back Kirby also, and not just because I had kind of crush on Hayden Panettiere from Heroes.  :-[
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2023, 03:20:19 PM »
You watched Scream and Scream 4 but did you watch Scream 3 or Screams?

Bebpo

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2023, 08:51:18 PM »
I still haven't watched Scream VI. I should remedy that.

14. Hell House LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel (2018)
15. Hell House LLC III: Lake of Fire (2019)
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
I liked the first movie, but the sequels were pretty bad. The second one was merely unambitious, the third one actually tried to do something but unfortunately what they tried to do was so goofy that it's impossible to take it seriously. I guess I'll give them some credit for actually trying something that dumb.

So like you, I watched Hell House years ago on a whim and the first one was actually pretty good! Then I read about the sequels and they sounded pretty bad so I skipped them.

But then I look at Rotten Tomatoes and wtf there is A NEW ONE coming out in two days that actually has good reviews like the first one?
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hell_house_llc_origins_the_carmichael_manor

Would probably watch that.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2023, 10:34:13 AM »
Yeah, it's supposed to be on Shudder today, so I'll probably give it a watch.

24. Final Destination (2000)
25. Final Destination 2 (2003)
26. Final Destination 3 (2006)
27. The Final Destination (2009)
28. Final Destination 5 (2011)

I'd only ever seen the original FD, but I picked up the Blu-rays for $15 at Best Buy last week to watch after I finished the Scream series. The first movie still holds up pretty well, it's no Scream, but it's a fun flick. The second movie has it's moments, namely the highway pileup scene. 3 and 4 are just terrible, with 4 having some of the most abysmal special effects I've seen in a theatrical film. 5 somewhat salvages the series; it was better than 3 & 4 but still not as good as 2. The little twist at the end was a cute way to tie up the series.

29. Fascination (1979)

From Eurosleaze auteur Jean Rollins, comes this acid trip of bisexual vampire women in a spooky old castle. So pretty much standard Jean Rollin fare.

30. Five Nights at Freddy's (2023)
Watched on: Peacock

Inoffensive kiddie dreck. Worth watching if you're 10 or you hate yourself.

31. The Pope's Exorcist (2023)

Also brain dead dreck, but this movie has Russell Crowe with a fake Italian accent yelling at a small child. 10/10
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2023, 10:15:26 AM »
So like you, I watched Hell House years ago on a whim and the first one was actually pretty good! Then I read about the sequels and they sounded pretty bad so I skipped them.

But then I look at Rotten Tomatoes and wtf there is A NEW ONE coming out in two days that actually has good reviews like the first one?

I watched it yesterday on Shudder and it was pretty good! I'd say it was comparable to the first movie, but with 200% more scary clown (for LORE reasons, obviously).
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2023, 10:42:48 AM »

I watched it yesterday on Shudder and it was pretty good! I'd say it was comparable to the first movie, but with 200% more scary clown (for LORE reasons, obviously).

Can I watch it without having watched II and III and the LORE they bring? Or do I need to wiki those entries to get the lore first?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 01:01:25 PM by Bebpo »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2023, 12:57:46 PM »
You should be fine. It doesn't really reference the second and third movies much, all you need to know is that the Abaddon Hotel burned down at the end of 3.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2023, 03:41:43 PM »
You should be fine. It doesn't really reference the second and third movies much, all you need to know is that the Abaddon Hotel burned down at the end of 3.

So I just subbed Shudder again and watching Origins and so Hell House 1-3 are all about the hotel in town, right? This manor thing is a completely different place? Are we supposed to know the connection to the hotel going into this?

Bebpo

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2023, 05:10:25 PM »
Ok, I finished Origins and this movie made zero fucking sense having skipped II and III lol
Maybe I'll watch III just to get more background. Sounds like II is just a rehash of I without giving much more story.

Origins had generally good tension and scares, but the characters were stupid and the lead was obnoxious as hell. Plus clowns are zzzzzz

Bebpo

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2023, 05:46:47 PM »
Having a horror day, so I think maybe I’ll watch II & III. Read up on them and it makes me kind of want to see them. Maybe at 1.5x speed?

The lore in this series seems confusing.

Bebpo

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2023, 08:21:50 PM »
Was enjoying Hell House LLC 2 for the first hour, liked the bigger scope take with kids live-streaming and news segments and psychics. Was good until they're all stuck in a room upstairs with 30 mins to go, then it becomes a stumbling in the dark rehash of the other films, and then the dumbest villain exposition scene in a while. Oh well.

Time for 3.

Bebpo

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2023, 08:31:58 PM »
Ok, like 8 mins into III and is this one going to be a comedy? Because I can dig that take. The actor being like "uhhh, what the fuck am I getting into" bit was hilarious.

Bebpo

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2023, 10:44:41 PM »
Ok, Hell House LLC3 was honestly not bad, I think it's better than Origins but it just needed a bigger budget because

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Angel reveal fight scene at the end has zero budget and is lolwut for a finale.

I liked that the whole story they make it seem like the rich dude made a deal with the devil and was going to sacrifice everyone on purpose for some satanic ritual, but in the end it turns out he was actually an angel come to stop it and close the gate.
[close]

Still after having seen all four now I think Stephen Cognetti is a pretty solid director and okayish writer as I think all four are pretty competent and none of them are just total badly made trash.

1 is the best because the concept's original, the cast is likeable, pace is good
2 is a solid expansion of the lore, still sorta likeable cast, only falls apart in the end by VILLAIN RANT
3 is fun, likeable cast, good pacing, mostly just falls apart because of low budget and finale should've been way longer and higher budget, also G-MAN is not a good villain in 2 & 3. Like G-MAN is not scary unless you're Gordon Freeman.
4 is well made scares, decent pacing, but the cast is the fucking worst of the 4 by a large amount and you're like why the fuck don't they leave. It also is a weird side story that for being "ORIGINS" barely adds anything to the plot/lore and is pretty much just a haunted house rehash with SCARY CLOWNS, so if you're not into scary clowns it's kinda whatever. It's a lot more serious and less fun than the other ones because the cast and setting. 4 also makes the least sense (scary bird noises, cult demons in the daylight away from the hotel, etc..., I still have no fucking idea what the demon clown thing in the series is)

1>3>4>2

I don't think they should've called 4 Origins, since it takes place after 3 and barely explains any origin stuff to the lore. Will see what the next one brings...

Bebpo

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2023, 01:58:24 AM »
Totally Killer - Was alright. The slasher part was zzz, the time travel part was fun.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2023, 11:53:22 AM »
I don't think they should've called 4 Origins, since it takes place after 3 and barely explains any origin stuff to the lore. Will see what the next one brings...

It's not a prequel, but you get more backstory for Andrew Tully and what the cult was up to, how he was a preacher that lost his faith after his wife died and started a satanic cult to try to resurrect her. Then he meets up with the evil clown carnies in West Virginia, moves to Abaddon and recruits the Patrick Carmichael into the cult because of how distraught he was over his sister's death. (Patrick was supposed to be at the mass suicide, but he missed it because he was in jail.) He helps Andrew kidnap people to sacrifice at the carnival. In one of the earlier movies, it talks about a carnival shutting down in Abaddon after some kind of disaster, and also they mention Margot almost being kidnapped at a carnival.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2023, 06:08:10 PM »

It's not a prequel, but you get more backstory for Andrew Tully and what the cult was up to, how he was a preacher that lost his faith after his wife died and started a satanic cult to try to resurrect her. Then he meets up with the evil clown carnies in West Virginia, moves to Abaddon and recruits the Patrick Carmichael into the cult because of how distraught he was over his sister's death. (Patrick was supposed to be at the mass suicide, but he missed it because he was in jail.) He helps Andrew kidnap people to sacrifice at the carnival. In one of the earlier movies, it talks about a carnival shutting down in Abaddon after some kind of disaster, and also they mention Margot almost being kidnapped at a carnival.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sure, although why is there still supernatural stuff at the manor when the gate to hell was at the hotel.

My take was that Patrick who missed the death portal time at the hotel, then goes home and kills his family to open ANOTHER portal at the house which is the red light he walks into wearing the clown suits.

After which he becomes a ghost clown demon and hangs out at the hotel fucking with people until the hotel burns down and now he hangs out at the house fucking with people.

And I guess the gate at the house covers a large radius like the whole woods since demons can just pop up in the woods now.

Though it's kind of funny that Angel-dude closed one gate but there was this other one open down the street as well.
[close]

I'm going to assume Origins is just starting a new sub-series for the franchise that will all take place at that house and the woods around it.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2023, 11:04:18 PM »

Wouldn't call it scary but this shit was great. Very interesting, almost blue collar take on the vampire hunter being a job akin to a coal miner or something. Just a dirty job you gotta do to pay the bills and save the world.